Sears - Gamefisher Outboard Motor 1.75

Status
Not open for further replies.

StarGazerI

Seaman Apprentice
I just purchased a used "Sears - Gamefisher Outboard Motor 1.75" and need a little help!
Here is the info I have,
:rolleyes:Model: 298-585180 SN C042321 Do I need oil in the lower unit? if yes what type and brand works best!
Do I need to grase anywhere?
Does anyone have a copy of owners manual they can share? :D

Thanks for any help, StarGazerI :rolleyes:
usadco@comcast.net

DamianJP

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Sears - Gamefisher Outboard Motor 1.75

Any gamefisher with the 298 prefix is made by Tanaka.

Schematics
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/par...47/1305320?pathTaken=&prst=0&shdMod=298585180

Still looking for a manual...

I'm not sure about the gear oil. I see in the gear case section of the sc hematics that it has parts number 38 and 39. 38 says drain gasket/seal so it's possible.

Have you taken a compression test or spark test?

I would grease alittle around the transom clamp bracket and mabey the part where the tiller connects to the engine. Other than that if it just gonna be fresh water use just spray it down with the hose when done. If it gonna be saltwater lightly grease every bolt/screw from the lower unit up to the mid section.

DamianJP

axeman1988

Seaman

does the lower unit have two screws?? any lettering around them?? if it does it might say vent on top and fill on the bottom. if so yes it does have gear oil, a good indication if it does is unscrew the bottom something should come out i would hope. i fill my 1976 eska from sears with 80-90w gear oil i use valvoline and change it offten. esspecially if it leaks

StarGazerI

Seaman Apprentice

Thank's DamianJP.
1. Have you taken a compression test (YES)
2. spark test? (YES) all good

There is 3 scerws on the lower unit.. 2 to hold the caseing and 1!! Dont know?

Thank your for your answers and questions. Im still hopeing to find a manual!!

Thanks Again! StarGazerI

StarGazerI

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks axeman! It only has 2 scews for holding plate on and 1 screw (I dont know what its fore). and still looking for a operations manual.. Thanks again! StarGazer I

axeman1988

Seaman

if i'm thinking the what your seeing you are looking at an inspection plate just above the lower unit.
if it is an inspection plate the bolt you see in there could be (like in my case) the gear shifer does you outboard have forward N Reverse? for me i have an eska and right above the inlet holes for my impeller is a vent screw for the lower unit lubricant and at the bottom of the unit by the prop(not really like 4 to 5 inches away) near the back is a larger fill screw. does your gamefisher have any of the things listed above?

StarGazerI

Seaman Apprentice

Hi Axeman! Thanks for the input but, it doent have a Reverse.. just forward to go into Reverse, you rotate motor 180 deg. LOL Thanks for the input StarGazer I

axeman1988

Seaman

no problem hope you got the gear lubricant all sorted out. i'm 95% sure yours does have some lubricant in the gear drive.

DamianJP

Chief Petty Officer

Hey Star

Can't find a 1.75 owners manual (Yet...), I have the same 1.75 and have been looking for one for abit too.

But Iv'e found the 120 (1.20HP) one...
http://www.tanaka-usa.com/pdf/manuals/TOB-120_300.pdf

Says this...

Gear Housing
Check gear housing for proper level of grease after first 4 hours of operation
and every 50 hours thereafter. See Storage section for annual maintenance.
To check and fill unit with gear oil, pull motor out of the water and place in an
upright position. Remove spark plug wire. Remove housing drain plug and
washer. Insert nozzle of lubricant tube fully into hole and squeeze tube until
excess oil flows from around nozzle. Replace plug and washer. Tighten securely.
NOTE: Use 90 weight Hypoid Gear Oil.

Page 12 of the first link to the whole manual. Seems the screw by itself is the fill and drain all-in-one.

DamianJP

StarGazerI

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks GOOD INFO!! Ill keep you all posted too! Best Regards StarGazer I

Just found this too!
Did you know!
Tanaka air-cooled, all two-stroke outboard motors were manufactured by Tanaka Kogyo Ltd. Co. in Japan from the mid-1970?s until 2002. They were produced under 3 different brand names
Tanaka, Sears Gamefisher and Aquabug. There were different colors and labeling configurations, but within each horsepower rating (1.2 HP, 1.75 HP, 3 HP and 5.5 HP) the motors were identical except for the shroud / decals.

Last edited:

StarGazerI

Seaman Apprentice

;):) Hey! got the motor cleaned up and started grate and adjusted carb so blade stops at idle. Manual was a god-send. I removed all gas-lines and carb and gas filter and did a total cleanning and replaced carb float only.

Hows yours comming? Best Robin:)

DamianJP

Chief Petty Officer

Sorry about inbox full, I emptied it abit so feel free to PM for now. :)

Well unfortunately my Gamefisher 1.75 is on the back burner for now. Iv'e got a buddies Evinrude 25hp and my BMW to do before I "dig" into my tanaka. I might need some more parts for it than I thought but It will be fun to get it %100. Nice on just having to replace the float , saved ya some money.

I'll let ya know when I focus on the tanaka and how it turns out.

BTW what kind of boat are ya thinking of hanging yours on?

DamianJP

StarGazerI

Seaman Apprentice

Damian, Plan to use it on my NEW PUFFIN 8.6' dinghy from Maine..LOL Need some help though! Please check your Spark Plug and tell me what is in yours! Also, sent you a email outline of your Lower Unit too. Need info ASAP!! :)

Robin

Fishemup

Cadet

Hi I have one of these also ,been sitting for 5 years.After replacing all of the fuel lines and cleaning everything i could,allong with new fuel (sunoco 93) it fired up.

My question is I want to paint the motor and tubes any sugestions on paint?

I need a winter project

M

mrcrabs

john deere green would be cool or hot pink to remind you how hot they get,

I have a TOB 3 hp I want to convert it to a weed eater...any ideas anybody:confused:

Paul Pro

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Stargazer hi, did you manage to change the gear oil,on mine it was a pain,see it only has one drain hole,in the manual,they recommend you remove gear housing by removing the two bolts,when I removed the drain bolt,the oil stayed in there,even upside down,eventually I found a meathod to syphon the oil out with a thin hose,I even used the hose to add oil,if not you have to do so drop by drop.I wouldn't take off the housing,what if you damage the seal,plus its probably stuck on there pretty good,I tried removing mine,gave it a few taps I gave and just put the bolts back,lol I made a new vidI raised the transom,youtube "transom mod"if not try boater 305 P.S. for syphon trick I used a suringe used for greasing your reels,I added a skinny hose to that,it was a bit slow but worked good,I got the hose all the way to the bottom getting out all the old oil,I even flushed it and drained it again with a bit of new oil,I stuck the hose in there to fill it,1/2 ounce at a time.I layed the motor down with the handle up,so don't tell me you have 2 running 1.75's:confused:,I'll be so jealous :)Carefull you don't push it past its maximum 8000 rpm,I'm not sure but I don't think our motors have a rev limiter mine is m#298586180,check boater 305 on you tube see his channel to see my twinn 1.75's runningYes I said twinn I got another,maybe one day I'll run a 3hp inbetween the 1.75's,or I'll get another 1.75 for tripplets lol [video]twin motors[/video]copy this link for youtube under "boater 305

Attachments

• manual too.jpg
    manual too.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 1

Paul Pro

Petty Officer 2nd Class

john deere green would be cool or hot pink to remind you how hot they get,

I have a TOB 3 hp I want to convert it to a weed eater...any ideas anybody:confused:

shoulder strap

M

mrcrabs

You know it may sound silly but I found the best way to drain and fill the tanaka was to simply remove the drain bolt and lay it at the best angle to drain and give it a 1/2 hr or so, if its thick give it a squirt of Wd or even a shot of kerosen.
We do a little bit of wild life rehab around here every year so eyedropers feeders are always handy, if not petsmart will have them in a few sizes, the little gear box dosen't hold more than a shot glass of lube to me its simply not worth pulling the gear housing apart ,humor me Robert but If I pull it apart I will no doubt get a leak and have water intrusion....I guess its just my luck, however the large eye droper will fill it in short order and save you the possibility of a leaking seal and a busted housing from water intrusion and rusted gears 9 margarita mix and tequila is very corrosive....just my 2 pennys but I don't like taking chances when mixing my drinks, gear oil tast nasty and it worked fine and quick enough for me....no big mess to deal with either..use 80-90w marine gear oil...like I said just my 2 pennys...good luck

best regards,
DougS

Status
Not open for further replies.