7.5 hp Gamefisher/Eska

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmckee

Recruit
I have a 1980 Gamefisher made by Eska. When I bought, it would crank and run but started flooding. Took carb apart expecting to find bad needle/seat. Found torn fuel pump element. Got parts and rebuilt carb and replaced element at 45 degree angle. Again, engine cranked easily and ran in a tank for a few minutes. Died but restarted on 1-2 pulls. Started flooding again with gas running out of carb. Took carb off and found the new element torn. Any thoughts about what might have caused this and how I might avoid with next new element? One of my thoughts has been to use a pressurized external tank and try to bypass this element some way. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: 7.5 hp Gamefisher/Eska

I supose if the motor did a lean sneeze/backfire it might have torn the element.
Perhaps one of the Eska gurus can help.

M

mrcrabs

I don't see how the fuel pump can flood the carb, the gas has got to stop at the needle seat if the setup is correct, but if the rubber fuel pump is busted the engine can and will suck gas directly into the crankcase(edit)if there is a gravity flow gas supply available...as far as another torn fuel pump, my only guess is NOS old new parts...bad rubber?

I'm looking at the internal diagram for the carb now and thats all I can tell you, except you can bypass the fuel pump by simply using a carb gasket without the fuel pump hole, if you have an onboard fuel tank

bmckee

Recruit

Thanks for your thoughts. I do think I will try to bypass the element and use the internal tank (which I have cleaned twice, just to make sure). I will also recheck my needle and seat. On the carb diagram you have, does it show a spring on the float. My doesn't but the kit came with one. I think I will go ahead and put it on to see if it helps.

M

mrcrabs

you don't need the spring, just a good seat and an accurate float setting,

? did you change the flapper valve and gasket?

? do you have a tecumseh carb manual?

bmckee

Recruit

Yes, changed flapper valve and gasket. New needle and seat. I do not have a carb manual, do you have a link to one? Thanks.

M

mrcrabs

PM me with a e-mail addy and I will show you the link

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Graver start your own thread on what you need. This ones 10 yrs old

Status
Not open for further replies.