Sears 3.5hp outboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

barley76

Recruit
Hello-

I recently got a older sears outboard motor...Model Ser.# 682 6091 76477 Can someone please give me some info on where I can get some parts or manuals or anything...I do need to get a gas can for it? Lookin for some info.

Thanks in advance!

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: Sears 3.5hp outboard

That's not a valid Sears model number. Where are you finding that number on your outboard? There should be a metal tag somewhere near the transom mount. If you can find that, give us the numbers on it.

barley76

Recruit

OK...Maybe that is why I can't find any informtion? That was the number listed on the Craigslist ad...my father in-law is bringing the motor down this weekend, I'll check on the motor for a number. More info to later. Thank you!

CATransplant

Admiral

Yup. Let us know when you have the numbers, and we'll try to offer what help we can.

barley76

Recruit

OK...so my father in-law brought it down lastnight. This thing is pretty cool! The motor fires right up...what I need to find is a gas connection of some sorts. Right now there isn't one, just using a squirt bottle with a piece of hose? Any help on a solution would be great!

The tag on the transom says the following (different then what was posted on the ad) Model 582 6091 Sears, Roebuck & Co. USA
Simpsons-Sears Limited. Canada

Any help for where to get a gas conncecttion would be great....Thanks!

Jess

CATransplant

Admiral

OK, that's sort of a rare item, made by Clinton for Sears Canada in 1967. Those were sold only in Canada, as far as I know.

As such, it doesn't show up with a parts diagram at www.searspartsdirect.com

If it did, I'd be able to see the fuel fitting. If it looks like an air hose quick disconnect thing, then it's a Chrysler fitting, which should be available at any marine store or right here on iboats.

If it's something else, I recommend replacing the fitting on the outboard with a standard Johnson/Evinrude fitting. You may have to do a bit of reverse engineering, but that'll be the easiest and least expensive solution.

Parts and stuff can be had. There's an ebay seller who specializes in Clintons. Search for Clinton outboard parts on ebay and visit his store. Stuff like points and carb kits should be readily available. Other stuff, not so easily available. You may even be able to find a manual, although it'll have to be for another 3.5 hp model from around the same time. Very few changes were made in these things over the years, so any mid to late 60s 3.5 hp Clinton will probably use most of the same parts as yours.

Jottemtrot

Recruit

You can contact Clinton Engine Products:

563-652-2411

They dont use internet/email. Just leave a voice mail with the serial/part number from the plate. They can send you original parts/manuals. I am rebuilding my 3.5 hp now. These guys bought up all the parts/etc when they went out of business.

Hope this helps.

Jottemtrot

Recruit

This might be the one you have. See next post for the last few pages.

Attachments

• Cover.jpg
    Cover.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 10
  • Page 1.jpg
    Page 1.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 7
  • Page 2.jpg
    Page 2.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Page 3.jpg
    Page 3.jpg