Gale 15hp. What have I done!

Platties

Cadet
I just got a Gale 15 hp for ?20, that about $30. Its in really good condition, but is it worth restoring. I want to use it properly and not as an antique!
It seems really well built, its model # is 15D11B and serial # 44376. Its plate says built in Canada, but i thought they where American?

Is it uneconomical on fuel?
Can I run it at 25:1 or even 50:1?
How old it she?
Are they reliable?
Are they heavy compared to a modern 15hp 2/ ?
I need two new ignition coils as they have split open. Where is the cheapest place to get parts?
Any information would be very welcome.

Thanks

Andy

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: Gale 15hp. What have I done!

Hi,

Your Gale is a 1961 model. The fuel:eek:il ratio is 24:1.

If the engine has good compression and the lower unit is sound, it should be a reliable engine, once put back into proper order.

It shares many parts with Johnsons and Evinrudes of the same period. The ignition system is the same universal magneto that was used for many, many years, and parts are readily available. Any stockist of parts for Johnsons or Evinrudes can supply the coils and other ignition parts at a reasonable price.

I'm not certain of the carburetor on the 15 hp Gales, but the same kit that applies to the same size Johnson or Evinrude will probably work, since it is made to service quite a list of carburetors. Again, see your stockist.

They're a bit heavier than the lowboy 15 hp outboards from later years, but not by very much.

As you proceed, please ask any questions you may have, and we'll try to offer all assistance.

freddyray21

Commander

agreed very good motor and very dependable as well

Platties

Cadet

Thank you for information.

Was it built in Canada?

I read somewhere that it's a fresh water model, but I want to use it on the sea, will that be a problem?

The mixture adjustment knobs on the front is something I've not come across before. Was it a common thing back then? Modern engines don't have this, why after you have set up the carburettor once would you want to keep adjusting it?

I have to find a boat to fit it now. :D

Platties

Cadet

Hi,
Started the rebuild. The gear box oil is black, not milky. Have you ever come across this before? I was going to wash it out with Diesel, what do you think?

The coils casings where cracked and blown, so I have new ones with points and condensers. Do you think its worth changing the HT leads?

I think my engine has the aluminum exhaust plate as apposed to the later stainless steel one. Is it something I should change, or just forget about? I haven't taken it apart.

Thanks for the advice.

Hi,

Your Gale is a 1961 model. The fuel:eek:il ratio is 24:1.

If the engine has good compression and the lower unit is sound, it should be a reliable engine, once put back into proper order.

It shares many parts with Johnsons and Evinrudes of the same period. The ignition system is the same universal magneto that was used for many, many years, and parts are readily available. Any stockist of parts for Johnsons or Evinrudes can supply the coils and other ignition parts at a reasonable price.

I'm not certain of the carburetor on the 15 hp Gales, but the same kit that applies to the same size Johnson or Evinrude will probably work, since it is made to service quite a list of carburetors. Again, see your stockist.

They're a bit heavier than the lowboy 15 hp outboards from later years, but not by very much.

As you proceed, please ask any questions you may have, and we'll try to offer all assistance.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Motors were built in the states and Canada.Similar to E/J motors also gale built many private label motors so many used parts are out there if needed.
The Antique outboard motor club at www.aomci.org may be able to help with tips,odd ball parts etc. High and low speed adj. knobs initial setting one turn out from gently bottomed.then adjust high speed warm at speed ,low speed in gear unrestrained.idle speed about 650-700.Sometimes you need to remove the knobs for the initial setting.Once set usually no need to readjust.
Usually after setting install knobs with indicator at the mid point.
Dark gear lube isn't unusual You could flush with diesel if you want.
Don't remove the small phillips head screw as it is the shift yoke pivot.
If you intend to use as a regular motor you should get a factory service manual may be available here at iboats or KenCook.com Not sure of address.
but if your patient it will come up.Reprint manuals are pricey but are of originals. E/J manual will serve as well.I stumbled on a original factory Gale manual covering many models 48-57 on ebay i think it was $20 + shipping.
As far as routine parts some are here at iboats under the E/J application or
many ebay venders have excellent application information.for ignition,impellers etc.Standard outboard gear lube in the gearcase and TCW3 rated outboard 2 stroke oil.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Somebody clue you in about the exhaust plate? Not exactly common knowledge, but a good point. The aluminum ones are about 3/32-1/8" thick and the stainless ones are about as thick as a credit card. You can see the edge between the gaskets. The aluminum plates have destroyed many a motor.

Are you ready for another item that has destroyed many of those motors? The lower crankshaft seal. Part number 303804. See, I've encountered so many of them that I knew the part number by heart. I'd replace it whether it needs it or not, especially since you are planning to run it in salt water.

Attachments

• 12hp Gale lower seal 2.jpg
    12hp Gale lower seal 2.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 2

Platties

Cadet

Bottom crankshaft seal.............that's going to be interesting. The screws look like they have been there since 1961! I wonder if I get even one out before it shears.

I read about the exhaust plate in a E/J Shop Manual CD 1.5 to 40hp 1956 - 1970 I picked up off ebay, I can burn and post :rolleyes:you a copy if you like?

Everything on this engine is stuck together, I'm rebuilding it with Zinc Chromate, that should stop the ally fuzz, I hope!

Somebody clue you in about the exhaust plate? Not exactly common knowledge, but a good point. The aluminum ones are about 3/32-1/8" thick and the stainless ones are about as thick as a credit card. You can see the edge between the gaskets. The aluminum plates have destroyed many a motor.

Are you ready for another item that has destroyed many of those motors? The lower crankshaft seal. Part number 303804. See, I've encountered so many of them that I knew the part number by heart. I'd replace it whether it needs it or not, especially since you are planning to run it in salt water.

Platties

Cadet

Hello again,

Well, Gale lives again.:) Got her running last night, very smokey, but after about 15mins and winding in the idle screw she got better. I have some questions for you. If I put the cover on, she struggles and eventually dies. Where is the air suposed to get past the cover? Is this a symptom you have come accross before?:confused:
I replaced the spark plugs with Champion R J4J as apose to the recomended J4J printed inside the cover, will they do?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Most likely you have an exhaust leak that kills the motor with the cover on.
Could be where the leg attaches.Try using a length of hose like a stethescope to listen of an exhaust leak.
I assume the R J4J is a resistor plug.If she fires right up and runs you should be fine. As I understand it the present day number would be J4C.
As far as economical it won't be as good as todays technology.But a 15 would normally use about 1.5 GPH(gallons per hour) at wot (wide open throttle).In its day the 15 was rated at about 2 gph at wot.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Most likely you have an exhaust leak that kills the motor with the cover on.
Could be where the leg attaches.Try using a length of hose like a stethescope to listen of an exhaust leak.
I assume the R J4J is a resistor plug.If she fires right up and runs you should be fine. As I understand it the present day number would be J4C.
As far as economical it won't be as good as todays technology.But a 15 would normally use about 1.5 GPH(gallons per hour) at wot (wide open throttle).In its day the 15 was rated at about 2 gph at wot.

Are you trying to run that thing in a barrel? If you are, that is why it won't run with the hood on. It is breathing it's own exhaust smoke. Get it out of the barrel and on a boat in the lake. That is where it is intended to run. You probably will also have to readjust the knobs once you get it on the boat.

It might run on the resistor plugs if you are lucky. Personally, I wouldn't even try. They are NOT designed to run on resistor plugs, no matter what some plug chart author says. Half of them are ignorant and the other half don't know what they are talking about.

Platties

Cadet

Are you trying to run that thing in a barrel? If you are, that is why it won't run with the hood on. It is breathing it's own exhaust smoke. Get it out of the barrel and on a boat in the lake. That is where it is intended to run. You probably will also have to readjust the knobs once you get it on the boat.

It might run on the resistor plugs if you are lucky. Personally, I wouldn't even try. They are NOT designed to run on resistor plugs, no matter what some plug chart author says. Half of them are ignorant and the other half don't know what they are talking about.
Yes, I was running it in a barrel, I didn't have a boat until this weekend!

I put the J4J plugs in, I'm one of the "don't know what I'm talking about", when it comes to spark plugs, maybe you could enlighten me?

Put it on the boat, didn't run very well at first, it then coughed and took off like a scalded cat, I had the Harbor Master chasing me! I guess a reed valve was stuck. She runs fantastic, really smooth and clean. Only problem is fuel starvation, pump I think. Can you get replacement diaphragms and gaskets?

Platties

Cadet

Hi,
I've been running the motor for the last few weeks, she doesn't want to run slow very well. Sounds like a misfire or cough, then slows to a stop. Ive rebuilt the carb and the ignition is all new. Could it be some of the settings in the carb?
I thought it was the fuel pump, so I made a new gasket, the tricky one with the flap valves, but hasn't seemed to make any difference.

Any advice or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Hi,
I've been running the motor for the last few weeks, she doesn't want to run slow very well. Sounds like a misfire or cough, then slows to a stop. Ive rebuilt the carb and the ignition is all new. Could it be some of the settings in the carb?
I thought it was the fuel pump, so I made a new gasket, the tricky one with the flap valves, but hasn't seemed to make any difference.

Any advice or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Coughing or sneezing at idle is caused by running too lean. Could simply be a matter of adjusting the slow speed needle. But really, it sounds more like the fuel pump. They aren't repairable (no parts). Get a new 18-7350 here at iboats and be done with it.