Sea King 6 HP manual/service manual

brian1fuchs

Cadet
Gentlemen-

I have a Wards sea king 6hp motor that I obviously bought used about 15 years ago. I now have a son and want to start taking him fishing in the allum. boat. I havent run it in about 8 years, she leaked oil out of the lower half of the motor about 2 years ago, and i want to tune her up and get her running for this spring. I will try to get the model and serial today. I am looking for either a parts, service, or owners manual that anyone could possible send me, as in a pdf file. Little tight on money this year and looking at "free" options first before i go and spend 40 bucks on a manual. Any and all help is appreciated.

Brian

~Kids are like fish, they are constantly are moving~

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Sea King 6 HP manual/service manual

Welcome,Sometimes you can find a manual at the library.Also can find
Manuals on dvd, ebay is a good starting point.I have a number of used aftermarket manuals I payed about $15 or $20 for.The motor will probably turn out to be built by Chrysler model number can tell us.
If "oil"came out the exhaust it might just be exhaust residue.
It may smell gassy.If it has the gear oil smell not so good.
But probably fixable.You may want to examine the gearcase for cracks.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

There is a hole in my info.I can tell you it is a Chrysler and somewhere in 66-68 my guess is 66.The 66,67 motors use a Tillotson MT91B carb,the 68-73 use a tillotson MD** 66-67 motors are listed as using a 24:1 fuel mix,
68-73 use 48:1 24:1 for severe service.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

It's a 1970. The "07X" says that. (Reverse the numbers)

brian1fuchs

Cadet

Since i havent got anyone with a PDF file manual, can you guys guide me on just a quick tune up of the motor. I mean, i can do the plugs and carb, clean then, make sure there is spark, can you guys guide me on the lower half of the motor with the gear oil.

Thanks
Brian

This picture is the lower half of the motor where my gear oil (hopefully) has been leaking. Can someone tell me the weight i need to replace the oil and also the proper way to change gearcase oil. The red circle shows the leaking from the insert fitting which i have now tightened up....any guidance on changing the oil is appreciated

Attachments

• Motor2.jpg
    Motor2.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 0

brian1fuchs

Cadet

It may smell gassy.If it has the gear oil smell not so good.
But probably fixable.You may want to examine the gearcase for cracks

Examined gearcase, no signs of cracking or spacing on any parts.

hymer_nugget

Recruit

hey, i also have a 6hp wards seaking. identical really..... just wondering where i can get a new prop for it?
when i bought the prob, the previous owner had bent it on something. so he decided to heat it and bend it back with a hammer.
i think he may have cooled it too quickly because after about 6 months of owning it, the prop broke in that area. it seemed brittle almost as if it shattered right there..... just need a replacement. or maybe someone that can weld it back????

sentinel

Seaman

This picture is the lower half of the motor where my gear oil (hopefully) has been leaking. Can someone tell me the weight i need to replace the oil and also the proper way to change gearcase oil. The red circle shows the leaking from the insert fitting which i have now tightened up....any guidance on changing the oil is appreciated[/QUOTE]

The circled screw is one of two that are used to fill and drain the gearcase. Under each of the screws is a plastic washer which will deform in time or can be lost by a previous owner. Those washers prevent gearcase oil seapage. Seapage(leaking) is a common problem on older outboards. It just means you must check the gearcase oil level or refill the gearcase more frequently.

Gearcase lube comes in squeeze tubes like toothpaste and is sold at marine stores. Instructions on how to drain and fill the gearcase are printed on the lube tube. It is a little messy filling the gearcase because the lower hole is used to fill and the upper hole is to vent and let you know when the gearcase is full. Then you have to get the screw and washer into the lower hole without loosing too much gearlube on the floor and your hands...... messy!