7.5 Gamefisher Shear Pin Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Sears (Eska) 1989 7.5 Gamefisher outboard and I think I sheared the shear pin. Motor cranks and runs great but the propeller will not turn. I haven't a clue how to change the pin. Can someone please help. I hate to pay $$$ for what is probably an easy job. I have removed the cotter pin, removed the hub and don't know how to get the propeller off.

Thanks,
screaming voodoo

Re: 7.5 Gamefisher Shear Pin Question

I have a Sears (Eska) 1989 7.5 Gamefisher outboard and I think I sheared the shear pin. Motor cranks and runs great but the propeller will not turn. I haven't a clue how to change the pin. Can someone please help. I hate to pay $$$ for what is probably an easy job. I have removed the cotter pin, removed the hub and don't know how to get the propeller off.

Thanks,
screaming voodoo

Does that propeller slide off....screw off or what? There is a metal washer that semms to be on there really good. I have tapped on the rear of the propeller to see if that will lossen it but it doesn't and I don't want to tap it too hard. I am stopping until I get some info......Thanks

Whoopbass

Chief Petty Officer

As far as I know the prop should just slide off. Try prying it from the back with a big screwdriver.

Are you sure it's engaging into gear? I've never sheared a pin and the Gamefisher I did have had a big brass pin (like most small outboards) but it appeared to me there is no way that pin would shear. The pin is there to seat the prop on the shaft.

As far as I know the prop should just slide off. Try prying it from the back with a big screwdriver.

Are you sure it's engaging into gear? I've never sheared a pin and the Gamefisher I did have had a big brass pin (like most small outboards) but it appeared to me there is no way that pin would shear. The pin is there to seat the prop on the shaft.

After taking a closer look I see that it is not engaging. I took the small plate off above the cavitation section and found that I can engage it manually there with a screw driver. So I am assuming that something has come loose....like a pin or something in the shaft. What should I look for and where? again I am new to this.

Thanks
screaming voodoo

Whoopbass

Chief Petty Officer

Your problem could be you don't have the throttle in the proper position to allow it to shift it into gear.
Start it up and when its idling real low see if you can shift it into gear. If it doesn't go increase or decrease the rpm's and maybe you will find the sweet spot that will allow it to slip into gear.

I remember my Gamefisher was kinda of a pain to get into forward (it didn't have reverse).

4950cycle

Cadet
On my Eska , Which is the same motor in many respects has a shear pin right behind the prop. And yes that can shear and needs replaced after suffering some type of trauma. Like jerking the gears around or hitting something with the prop while under way and such. NOW, There is another pin that drives the prop gear inside the gear case ( the very bottom of your lower unit with the fin ) 4 bolts and your in there. Theres a little pin that drives the gear that is right behind the prop. That drives the prop shaft. That pin can rot out somehow or get damaged and viola , You have no drive to the prop. Now you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.