cheapest place to buy impeller???

nakman8

Cadet
I have an old Ted Williams 5.5 hp Model #217-59430
It needs the impleller replaced. I see some on Ebay but they seem spendy.
Anyone know of a cheaper place to buy one?
Also, the tube that goes back up inside the bottom unit is loose and wiggles around. Do I need to address this or is some play allowed? Don't want to put a new impleller in and have the tube leak. I'm assuming the impeller pushes water up this tube for cooling.Where are the discharge holes that the water would come out of?

Thanks for and advice and help with my ????'s

JBish130

Cadet
Re: cheapest place to buy impeller???

If your motor is one of the Sears branded Eskas then there are those small holes on the column. If the impeller is working, water should be spraying from those holes. It's not a lot of water, but you can see it while the motor is running. If you can't see water spraying from those holes, you need to replace the impeller; otherwise you can save your money.

I've bought Eska parts from Brix Enterprise before, and have been satisfied. This is a common part and probably available from a number of sources. From what I've seen, they are all priced about the same.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The water merely goes up the water tube and spills out at the top, and going out with the exhaust. Some blows out the holes in back. I don't recall how the water tube is held at the top, but I would suppose it's pretty chintzy.

jddens

Seaman

I don't think "cheap" works for any old motor parts..........the impeller is available at www3.sears.com.........for $39.95.....plus shipping...ouch!!! I just ordered one for my Ted Williams 7.5hp....

washburn

Cadet

I just got my 7hp back together last night. The water tube is held by a washer and thin hex nut. Mine also seemed lose but it didn't feel like it wanted to tighten. I poured water in the plate and none of it ran down the outside of the tube. The play will help you when it's time to re-install the lower unit anyway. If you have to look for yourself it will require removal of the column from the powerhead and probably a new gasket. I advise to leave well enough alone on these old motors. The deeper you go the more $ it will cost. I got an impeller from Discount Marine for $20. May need a new spirol pin too. Also call Certified Parts Corp. and Brix. One can be cheaper than the other depending on the part.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

The water merely goes up the water tube and spills out at the top, and going out with the exhaust. Some blows out the holes in back. I don't recall how the water tube is held at the top, but I would suppose it's pretty chintzy.

I usually describe it as the water mists out of the relief holes.It is ok to
briefly test run the motor without impeller working.Its best to test in a barrel
with water as high as possible.Using a barrel will make to motor respond closer to the way it will on a boat.The water pressure affects operation.