eska engine oil help

mrjoelo

Recruit
:confused: I have just gotten an old 1970eska 7.0 hp outboard model 217.58531 , It starts fine, but I can't seem to find out how to change the oil. can anyone help me out? even if there is someone out there with a manual that can send it to me in pdf format or something, any and all information is greatly appreciated..

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: eska engine oil help

While that is an Eska motor it was built for Sears.That is a Sears model number.
Pull both the upper vent plug and lower drain plug,lay motor on its side and allow it to drain.If lube is milky or water is present you should renew seals and gaskets.Stand motor uprioght and fill with outboard gear lube from the bottom plug until it reaches the level of the vent hole.Install vent plug and then the drain plug.

mrjoelo

Recruit

I really appreciate that information. :D but I have no diagram of the bolts or locations of the bolts you mentioned, I am going to take a good look at the motor and see if i can locate what bolts you are talking about. do I need to pull off the rope starter? or is it something easily done without taking alot of the parts off?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

The only oil to change is in the gearcase by the propellor.
The drain plugs are flat slotted screws one (drain/fill) just above the gearcase starboard side near the front the other (vent) is port side higher closer to the rear.No need to mess with the recoil starter as it is at the oposite end.
Have you ever messed with an outboard?

moterboat

Petty Officer 1st Class

Eska,that brings back memorys,my first outboard,bought brand new from sears, 5 hp eska, $105.00 1968,wow,long time ago,good motor...

mrjoelo

Recruit

not really, i have messed with 2 stroke motors lots of times, but never on an outboard, i just assumed there was oil in the crankcase of the motor too.. this is a 1st for me. so everything is done down by the prop. ok i can deal with that then easily. And should the motor spit water out the exhaust holes only when not in neutral???