1964 5 hp sea king flywheel removal

mheym56820

Recruit
Anyone have any ideas of how to remove the flywheel. I have a picture of it that I can e-mail you if needed. The flywheel is roughly 7 1/2 in diameter and I tried to use a 12" 2 jaw puller but it would not work. There are no threaded areas on the flywheel to allow use of a steering wheel puller. I need to get under there and figure out why I have no spark. I am thinking condensers and points, hoping its not the coils but I think that it is more likely that the points and condensers would go out together than both coils at the same time.<br /><br />One other thing, Can anyone confirm oil/gas mix. I had one reply to a previous post that though 16:1, just want to make sure and lastly can I run the standard 2 cycle outboard oil (TCW3) I believe or should I use something else when I get this thing fired up.<br /><br />Thanks for your help,<br /><br />Mike

Paul Moir

Admiral
Re: 1964 5 hp sea king flywheel removal

I'm not sure about your West Bend but other small older West Bend/Chryslers didn't have the puller bolts too. Forget the gear puller, it's never a good idea.<br />The procedure is this, and you need to exercise it with the utmost care and digression. Thread the flywheel nut on a few turns, but not all the way so the end of the crankshaft isn't protruding through the centre. Then with a pry bar wedged between the flywheel and block, put some upward pressure on the flywheel key side of the flywheel. Then strike flywheel nut with some light taps with a hammer, building up until the flywheel pops off.<br /><br />Be really careful prying up the flywheel. The real object is just to lift it off it's bearings a bit, not to pry it off the crankshaft. The taps do the work.<br /><br />I've got 16:1 for the '64 5hp Sea King too. Since it's water cooled you'll want to use TCW3 outboard oil rather than TC (chainsaw) oil.