Magneto Coil Removal & Check - need assistance

PurpleDragon

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Magneto Coil Removal & Check - need assistance

Well, I guess we have good news again.<br /><br />Both Spark plug wires are reading at 7128 ohms from plug boot to ground.<br /><br />Open point gaps are both reading .7 ohms to ground. - and are both set to .020 according to my gauge.<br /><br />Top cylinder - after cleaning the points (again) is now sparking! YAAAY. Bottom cylinder - no dice, yet - but I'll work on it tomorrow morning when it's light outside again (and up in the high 70's I might add).<br /><br />Rex

petryshyn

Commander

>clean points by allowing them to close on a folded piece of crokus cloth(pull out and repeat several times)make the last pull with a clean piece of paper!!! any residue left will add resistance.<br />Good luck!!<br /><br />spray the cylinders with a good shot of WD-40

norman158

Petty Officer 1st Class

Rex as long as that motor has sat with out running i wouldn't be too worried about the low compression. when you get it running it will come up. compression tests should be done with the motor warm from running not the weather

PurpleDragon

Petty Officer 2nd Class

WOOO HOOOOO<br /><br />Guess what????!!!!<br /><br />The baby run!!!!!<br /><br />Got the other contact points cleaned up REAL nice, then the lower cylinder plug started sparking! Plugged it back in to the cylinder, pulled the rope, and "Cough" - it "wanted" to start. So I filled up the trashcan underneath it with water, hooked up the gasline, and pulled the rope.<br /><br />Cough.... Sputter.... Vrooooommmmmmm<br /><br />I ran it for a good 3-4 minutes. Water was pumping well, it was coming out the water outlet. Fuel "seemed" to be pumping. I'll know better later this afternoon.<br /><br />The only bad news right now is that I need to keep a few shear-pins (keys) on hand for emergencies. I tried cranking her again, and wouldn't start - so opened up the flywheel again. And just as you had predicted, the shear-pin had snapped. I'll have to make sure of the torque on that top-nut.<br /><br />Rex (adrenaline is still pumping!)

Backlash

Chief Petty Officer

Good deal Rex! Persistence pays off. No greater reward than to take a seemingly useless hunk of metal and get her going again. ;) <br />Backlash

PurpleDragon

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Guys - Thanks to you ALL for your assistance on this.<br /><br />5 spare woodruff keys, and 80 cents poorer are well worth the investment They will stay in my boat tool-box.<br /><br />The other tools I bought are a small price to pay for knowing that on a boat & motor that were given to me - and hadn't been run for close o 30 years - that I was able to get it running again.<br /><br />Ran the motor for a good 30 minutes straight. I'd say the fuel & water pumps are working at that rate.<br /><br />Compression is still down at 60 psi on both cylinders (after warming the engine) - but we'll keep an eye on that for a while.<br /><br />It runs like a typical, old, 2-stroke motor. A little smoky, a little oil on the water. But, I'm happy. It feels strong.<br /><br />Next, I'll be changing out the lower unit's gear oil again. I changed it 2 weeks ago, but would really feel better knowing that all the old gunk is out of there, after having the prop rotate in gear for a minute or two. (It was in a trash-can full of water at the time).<br /><br />Once again... Yeeee Ha!<br /><br />Rex S.

norman158

Petty Officer 1st Class

GOOD FOR YOU dont forget to change the impeller if you haven't done that all ready its long past due

petryshyn

Commander

Rex<br />be sure to clean up any galling that occured from that sheared key, both on the crank and flywleel. Carefully file the high spots away.<br /><br />Good luck man ....way to go!! :)

Rex

Chief Petty Officer

Glad to hear that everything work out great.<br />Just check the torque as the other members <br />said.<br />The taper lock should hold it.<br />The key is just to set the flywheel right.<br />GOOD LUCK.<br />REX A. :) ;)