Clinton J9 lower unit

Nobrot

Recruit
Hi,

I'm in the process of restoring a Clinton J9 5hp. All is going well after she had been stood for many years and I've finally got her going with the help of a new fuel pump, just some final fettling with the carb and she should be OK...the problem however is the lower unit. I've replaced the impellor but for the life of me I cant get the lower unit back in place. It goes most of the way and just stops short of the where the pump mates up with the water pipe and just stops, no amount of prop turning or engine turning will get it to slip in that final 1/2 inch.....Am I missing something or what, any ideas would be gratefully received. Thanks in advance.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Sounds like the drive shaft is missing the hole in the crankshaft

Nobrot

Recruit
That's what I think but when I turn the prop to line the splines up I can feel some contact but it wont slip in........Is there something that has possibly moved around where the splines should go into the crankshaft or....can it be done by removing the powerhead and approaching the connection from the top, so to speak.?

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I just looked at the manual and could it possibly be something in the foot. I dont see any reason for it to not go in the crank other than what FR said. I do mine the same way everyone else does and turning the shaft to get the splines lined up always seems to work