Sea King k700 2107a getting too much...air? Carb issues

nbarr7655

Cadet
About a week ago I tore into my 71' (I believe it's 71) Sea King 7hp outboard to replace the lower end gear grease with fresh. In doing so, I ran into a slew of other issues all of which I have finally managed to fix. (broken roll pins, recoil spring acting up/getting stuck, etc.)

However now I have another new issue. When I took the boat out to test things I found that I now HAVE to have the choke on almost all the way otherwise the engine will run worse. If I barely crack it open it runs a tad better but if I go beyond that, it will kill itself. If I open it all the way it might as well be a kill switch.

I tried adjusting the idle screw as well as the screw on the bottom of the float bowl while the motor was running but that didn't seem to change anything so my new thought is, I have to be getting too much air from somewhere, right? Or, not enough fuel? Perhaps a carb cleaning? Could air be coming in through the fuel line in a couple of spots that don't have hose clamps? (One of them being right where the external fuel tank connects)

Other thoughts?

Sea King k700 2107a
Walbro LMB 179 carb (would like a replacement if I could ever find one!)

Last edited: