1957-ish 7.5hp Sea King getting hot

Redbeard2013

Recruit
I just replaced the impeller on the lower end of this outboard and now the shaft is getting really hot (steaming water and sizzling), I can also see no water leaving the what I can only assume is the cooling outpost holes up the shaft. I could really use some help here before I burn this thing up.

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Did you put the impellor in the right way. It makes a difference?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Is an air cooled engine (Eska or Clinton)? They do get stinking hot, that's why the water pump to cool the exhaust. But it should be blowing water droplets out the exhaust relief ports.

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Is an air cooled engine (Eska or Clinton)? They do get stinking hot, that's why the water pump to cool the exhaust. But it should be blowing water droplets out the exhaust relief ports.

I thought in the 50s the Sea King was made by Gale

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
They were, but the OP said 1957-ish 7.5hp. Gale never made a 7.5hp But Clinton and Eska did in the 1970's, Sold as Sea Kings also.

I had a Clinton Sea King....Monkey Wards. Willyclay did you check to make sure the impellor was installed right? If your not seeing a spray come out the exhaust ports on the back of the leg something is wrong

Willyclay

Captain
Willyclay did you check to make sure the impellor was installed right?

brim_buster, I am not the OP but was tagging along because of the "indicated" age of the motor with which I am familiar. I got confused when you and F_R posted very useful about two totally different motors. Guess the OP will have to straighten us all out. A model number would not hurt!

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
brim_buster, I am not the OP but was tagging along because of the "indicated" age of the motor with which I am familiar. I got confused when you and F_R posted very useful about two totally different motors. Guess the OP will have to straighten us all out. A model number would not hurt!

I just saw you werent the one who started the post...LOL...Sorry. But Sea Kings were made by different companies through out the years I didnt know Gale didnt have a 7.5 in the 50s. I think his year is wrong like FR said possibly a Clinton