1961 gale 5hp worth doing anything with?

Chevyls6

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello gents,

I recently was given a 1961 gale 5hp twin. Is this unit worth spending any money fixing?

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
If you got it for free and its in decent shape and you put 100 bucks in it than you have a 100 dollar good running motor. Check compression, check for spark and go from there. You can still get parts for them

Chevyls6

Petty Officer 1st Class
It seems like a nice motor for as old as it is. Cowling is in good shape and seems to have low hours.

Definitely needs 2 coils but may possibly run for testing purposes with the ones on there.

both cylinders came in at 70psi. Is that normal for these?

As far as i can tell the powerhead shares a lot of parts with a 1961 johnson/evinrude 5.5

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Gales were great running value motors by OMC (Johnson/Evinrude). Fix it and run it another 60 years.

Chevyls6

Petty Officer 1st Class
For being a budget motor its pretty wild how they built it. The budget motors of today cant compare lol. All the brass pieces alone would break the bank.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
its going to need two coils, a lower crank seal and check the bearings for pitting.

Chevyls6

Petty Officer 1st Class
Were the lower crank seals a big problem on these? I did notice that there isn't a shift rod connector so im guessing that youve gotta take the powerhead off to get the shifter unhooked.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Yes ----You have to remove the powerhead to replace the impeller.-----Now I say that is brilliant design.------There is no connecter / adjustment on the shift linkages so it is correct all the time.

Chevyls6

Petty Officer 1st Class
update: I threw a set of junky coils on from my 1965 evinrude parts motor.

I got it to start and run in a barrel for about 10 minutes. It was pumping water and idling despite the sketchy coils.

Seems to run smoother than my 9.5 lol