Sears Tecumseh ted Williams 9.9 problem

Dnash96

Cadet
I’m new to the forum, I just picked up this boat motor for next to nothing and I’m trying to get it running. I’ve rebuilt the carb, and getting good fuel flow. The engine will try to start but never stay running. The plugs are both good and as well as the coils but I’m getting no spark to the bottom cylinder. I swapped plugs and coils to the top cylinder to make sure it wasn’t either of those.

Does anyone have an idea what could be causing this?

thanks.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I once owned a Sear Ted Williams 7.5 outboard. And the only thing wrong with it when I bought it CHEAP was the ignition module. Not knowing how yours is setup, if there is one ignition module that feeds both cylinders and you ruled out everything else, it sounds like you may need a new ignition module as well.

Pop up a picture or three so we can see what you are dealing with...

Oh, and one other thing... :welcome: to iboats. Great to have you as a new member!

Dnash96

Cadet
Here’s the picture of what I’m dealing with. Thanks for the reply, I’ve been doing a lot of research on it and keeps pointing to the ignition module.

Attachments

• photo331326.jpg
    photo331326.jpg
    294.5 KB · Views: 4

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Here’s the picture of what I’m dealing with. Thanks for the reply, I’ve been doing a lot of research on it and keeps pointing to the ignition module.

I have to say that ignition modules is completely different then the one I needed. What testing have you followed to arrive at the ignition module? Are the two modules across from each other the coil packs? Have you swayed them to see if it changes anything?

Dnash96

Cadet
What do you mean by have I swayed them? So far I’ve swapped the plugs and both with spark on the top cylinder. I’ve swapped both coils and they will both produce a spark at the top cylinder. I put a timing light on both plug wires and cycled the engine and the top cylinder showed spark which I knew to be true already and the bottom showed no spark at all. (Wouldn’t make the light flash). All this makes me believe It is the ignition module.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
What do you mean by have I swayed them? So far I’ve swapped the plugs and both with spark on the top cylinder. I’ve swapped both coils and they will both produce a spark at the top cylinder. I put a timing light on both plug wires and cycled the engine and the top cylinder showed spark which I knew to be true already and the bottom showed no spark at all. (Wouldn’t make the light flash). All this makes me believe It is the ignition module.

Sounds like it to me. You did most everything you can to isolate it. Now it is time to locate a new one and get it JMHO

Dnash96

Cadet
Hit post prematurely... from what I can find is an Eska model would work as well however they’re expensive $200. More than double what I paid for the motor. I’ve thought about finding an old machine with a Tecumseh engine and robbing the module from that but not sure where to start looking for something like that.

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Those are solid state ignition modules. One for each cylinder. Very hard to find. Ive seen where people have made their own and used ones from old riding mowers. You can google it and see if anything comes up. There used to be about 6 or so posts of people moding them

gm280

Supreme Mariner
More then likely the SCR in the original circuit is bad. However, unless you know what to change and are able to remove the epoxy sealing the module together, that isn't much help. If it were mine, I would rip into the original and try to fix it. But that isn't for everyone.

What brim_buster suggested will work. Ignitions are not that hard to make. A trigger setup to fire the coils is all you need. And some mower circuits could be used if setup correctly like he suggested... JMHO

Bryan Smith

Cadet
Last edited:

Dnash96

Cadet
Ok so it’s been awhile since I’ve posted. Update I bought a new ignition module. I have spark in both cylinders. I’m seeing fuel in the cylinders (spark plugs are wet). No dice. Still will not fire. I am feeling hair coming out of the carburetor. Any ideas??

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Harbor freight. 15 bucks I think I paid. Best money spent. Big difference between thinking it does and really knowing

Dnash96

Cadet
I bought a compression gauge and I’m getting 80 psi too cylinder and 80 psi on the bottom cylinder.

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Good enough to run. So you need 3 things for a motor to run and you have checked and have 2 and air coming out the carb instead of sucking it in. There isnt a reed plate assy. on those. Let me go to the book. So you stated it tried to run with only 1 module working now you have both and nothing. Im stumped. Youve been through the carb and pretty much done eveerything anyone would have. Did you try swapping the wires on the plugs?

Last edited:

Dnash96

Cadet
Swapping the wires did the trick. Just messing with tge carb now to get it to run smoothly. ITs always something silly like that. Thanks to everyone for helping out with this!

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Boom baby sometimes its the little things. Now you have a great motor