1969 Mcculloch 4hp question

Shrinak

Recruit
I recently purchased a 1969 Mcculloch 4hp from a friend. I took apart the lower unit and its filled with grease and not oil. It was leaking into the lower unit and I am reeplacing the gasket. Is grease normally supposed to be in it or should I clean it out and replace with an OIL? If so what brand or type? Ill snap a picture or two when I get back out to the shop later today. Thank you for any help.
Chris

Attachments

• photo325330.jpg
    photo325330.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lubriplate 105 is the grease you can get it at Napa. Dont put oil in there. I think any water resistant grease will work

Shrinak

Recruit
Ok so grease it is. A buddy of mine was sure that it was supposed to be some sort of oil lubricant.

One more thing. Does this watyer pump look like it needs replacing its very frim and I am not sure if it is supposed to give or not. I wasnt able to tell if any water was coming from the exhaust since I was running it in a barrel and the splashing was getting out of control. Thank you for any and all help.

Attachments

• photo325334.jpg
    photo325334.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • photo325335.jpg
    photo325335.jpg
    501.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo325336.jpg
    photo325336.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I would double check it in a barrel. If you can find one or make one its always better safe than on the river or lake stuck

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Your water pump impeller (properly called a "rotor") is no good. It is supposed to be a close fit on the brass eccentric in the center. Or the eccentric is worn--it does happen. Yes, the rotor normally is fairly hard rubber. Say about like a tire New rotors are available. That lower unit was invented way back in the 1940's and used on Scott Atwater motors forever..