1956 7.5 hp Elgin question

1853 Colt

Cadet
My motor runs fine, but I can no longer put it in gear. It feels like it is disconnected and I can't figure out how to take it apart. I see an allen head bolt about have way down that looks like it clamps the middle sections together, but it doesn't budge when I try to separate it. Where do I need to go to get this thing back to working?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
They had a nasty problem with stripped drive shaft splines. To inspect them, remove the lower unit. Relying on ancient memory. remove the metal clip from the front of the leg, then the nut and shift cable disconnect behind it, and the nut above the prop.

You did check the shear pin------didn't you?

1853 Colt

Cadet
Sorry, I didn't realize I had a reply. I've attached a photo. If what I have marked as a cover is the clip, how do you remove it?

Attachments

• photo319458.jpg
    photo319458.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner
It just snaps on here. Use whatever tool (screwdriver/knife/etc) you have handy to pry it off.

1853 Colt

Cadet
I found a parts book for this motor and this assured me that as hard as it was to remove, it just clips in. After getting the cover off I discovered that the gear case was bone dry and clutch release cam assembly was stuck. I have everything cleaned up and ready to assemble.
I'm assuming that the gear case uses the same oil as a modern outboard?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
No, as well as I remember, it uses Outboard Motor Gear Grease, no longer made. Most people use Lubriplate 105 "Motor Assembly Lube" from NAPA Auto Parts stores.

1853 Colt

Cadet
I had to order the lubriplate from Amazon...none of the local auto parts store had it. I filled it with grease before I assembled, but should I fill it completely? maybe remove the bottom plug and add it until it comes out of the top plug hole?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Yes, filling from the bottom till it comes out the top is the normal procedure on an assembled motor. But even that does not get it 100% full. Some air space for expansion is normal. Doing as you did while opened up probably is good enough.

1853 Colt

Cadet
Thanks! After it ran for a few minutes I did what you said, filled from the bottom until it came out of the top

1853 Colt

Cadet
Another question- I have it running and carb adjusted pretty close, but I notice that it doesn't have a steady flow of water coming from the pee hole, sometimes. Is this normal? It seems to get pretty warm. It will come out then stop, sometime steam comes out, then It'll come out again