Sea crusier 500 5hp lower end removel

Abe362

Cadet
I'M new here how do you remove lower end to get to water impeller.I removed the screw in the exhaust outlet the nut broke off that is behind a tab on back of motor.It is loose but won't come off.Is their something else holding it on.Don't know make of motor it says aj9 1100 b serial 290708 all i can find on motor.any help would be much appreciated thank you.

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Its made by Eska. Removing the nut on the back side of foot should be all.

Abe362

Cadet
Ok thanks didn't want to break something else trying to get it off.must be stuck on the stud that broke off.

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Tap the cav plate gently with a rubber mallet. When you re-install put grease on the splines on the drive shaft going into power head.

Abe362

Cadet
I have taped on several times it is loose can move it side to side some but not comming off. Will work at it somemore thanks for the advice you guys are great

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
The shaft is stuck in power head probably. If you can spray PB blaster in there and let it soak it might loosen up

Abe362

Cadet
Will i need to take it loose somewhere else or turn upside down and try spray from bottom.

Abe362

Cadet
Turned up side down and sprayed good will let sit over night.also can barley make it out but looks like it says clinton on engine tag after i cleaned it good cant see first letters good but ends in (nton ) oneta iowa

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
All Eska motors use Clinton legs. I dont recall Clinton making a sea cruiser. I just checked and Clinton made a AJ9 in 1969 it was a 5hp and was called a Peerless and Clinton. They made some motors for Montgomery Wards Ive had a couple. You have a picture you can post? Same concept as Eska. Air cooled powerheads.

Last edited:

Abe362

Cadet
Foot very loose still won't come off sprayed good again will let soak

Attachments

• photo312346.jpg
    photo312346.jpg
    771.9 KB · Views: 0

Abe362

Cadet
It's ugly someone painted it but it runs pretty good going to clean carb.and try to replace impeller if i ever get to it.

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
If the drive shaft is frozen in the power head it can be a bear to get off. Been there. Dont give up on it. They are good little motors. You will be happy when your done. Im sending you a private message.

Abe362

Cadet
Still working on the stuck shaft. Got another question took bottom plate off of prop there is no oil in it it is packed with greese.i have heard others say same about theirs is that normal.it has place to put gear oil in it just wandering why it was full of greese insted. Thanks