HMC Cruise n Carry Model 6500

ttpoirier

Cadet
Hi All,

Hopefully this is the right spot for this - first post here. I recently picked up a new project, a well worn Cruise N Carry Model 6500 made by HMC. I've been doing a little research, and there doesn't appear to be a ton of information about these out there and parts are even more scarce. I've worked on my fair share of outboards (Johnson / Evinrude) as well as other small engines so I'm up for a challenge. I figured I would document the process here if people are interested, or at least to give others some help working on theirs while searching Google. I was able to locate a 6600 setup and running manual which has been a huge help. Attached are photos of the current condition, note the "custom" copper engine cover.

Attachments

• photo309549.jpg
    photo309549.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
  • photo309550.jpg
    photo309550.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
  • photo309551.jpg
    photo309551.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2

ttpoirier

Cadet
To fill in the How and Why - I work on small engines and outboards as a hobby, and enjoy saving old items from the garbage. Some projects get fixed and sold, others I hang on to. While searching a local selling app I came across this motor and it fit my requirements for a project, cheap, old, and probably broken. The seller had very little information about it claiming it came from a family member and it ran when they had it. He'd never used it but knew it leaked gas. He hadn't listed the model or manufacturer so I couldn't really do any research on it but after seeing it, I got it for $25. My current plans are to try and bring it back to running condition but if the powerhead isn't operational, I may try and swap it out for a string trimmer engine I have in the garage.

ttpoirier

Cadet
Thanks for the info Scott!

Finally got some free time the other day to dig into the motor. There seems to be more wrong than right on this little guy. The motor and prop spin with the clutch engaged, and independently when disengaged. I checked the motor for spark and to my surprise it's got some. Mixing up some fuel I was able to get it to fire up with a little directly in the engine. The carb on this unit has seen better days, it's cracked as seen in the photos and missing the choke damper. I am not sure what effect this will have but time will tell. A quick measurement with a set of calipers shows the carb output to the engine intake to be 16mm. Searching through eBay I found several 19mm options that are fairly inexpensive. But I am going to hold off till I can hear the engine run on it's own first.

With the carb off I pulled it apart for a quick cleaning. My goal was try to and get it running the other night but it had other ideas. After getting the carb cleaned and back on the engine, I discovered not only was the fuel line cracked, but the shut off valve leaks... and to top it all off so does the gas tank. With the modified hood on this unit, the tank was just held in place by the fuel filler neck and cap. Finding an OEM replacement seems like an uphill battle, so I've opted for a small pocket bike vented gas tank from eBay.

Updated project cost - $36.39
Purchase price $25
Carb Cleaner $2.99
Replacement gas tank $8.40

Later this week (again time pending) I would like to get the lower end opened up and inspected. More to come!

ttpoirier

Cadet
The gas tank arrived late last week and this past weekend I had time to work on the motor again. From what I've been able to read about these engines the lower unit uses to 20W50 motor oil to lubricate the gears. Cracking open the drain and vent screws produced nothing, so after removing the cover (sealed with RTV) I was a bit surprised to find grease. While still full I don't believe this is a long term solution. But cleaning that out is a project for another day.

The gas tank I ordered is very close dimension wise to the original but was still interfering with the engine when the cover is installed. To remedy this, I heated the empty tank up with a heat gun and reformed the interfering section. With a little modification it now fits, and I was able to plumb the fuel system. Included with the tank was a fuel filter and I added an shut off switch.

With some 25:1 in the tank it started on about the 5th pull, and to my surprise stayed running. I was able to do a little tuning but not get it exactly dialed in. I had expected it to be loud even at idle but it's not terrible. Wide open for long periods would be a bit much.

I'll post some photos in my next post with the current progress. Still a lot to do, and I am still waiting on a new switch to arrive for the engine cut off. A short video of it running can be seen at the link.