British Seagull Silver Century Carburetor questions

todd281

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a British Silver Seagull model WSPCL that I have done some research on and some questions have popped up. It is missing the carburetor and I believe the one that came on it was a AMAL 416. So far the only ones I have found are overseas and the shipping is rather high. I see that they use to run on a 10;1 mix , but by changing what looks like a main jet, they could be made to run on 25;1 Does anyone know how this was done? I don't understand how changing a jet allows for a much leaner fuel/oil mix.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Gasoline engines require a certain fuel/air ratio to run properly, with a bit of leeway either way. I suppose by running it slobberingly rich, more oil would go in with the extra gas. At the expense of decreased performance, and no actual saving of oil or water pollution because you are slopping more through it.

Anyhoo, from what I remember about Sea Gulls, they had lousy or no seals, and the heavy oil helped seal 'er up. Built as crude as a rock, but they always ran though. Remarkable motors.

Tassie 1

Chief Petty Officer
If you google the " Save our Seagull " site ( British old chap ) there is heaps of info there about your issue and many others,

a good first step is to forget any thing you knew about " normal " outboard motors and start again...

you beaut simple noisy dinosaur looking environmental disaster things they are,

l have 2, waiting on a third...

did l mention they were simple?
just like me...lol

todd281

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yea I have been to the SOS site and allot of others, but no discussion on how changing a jet in the carburetor allows the change in fuel/ oil mix. I am thinking along the same lines as F_R that the motor was manufactured able to run at 25:1 mix, but it was recommended to run at 10:1 . If that isn't the case, then I am at a loss as to how its possible. This whole question came up because I had fleeting thoughts of adapting a carburetor from a different engine, just to test run this Seagull and determine if I want to salvage it or part it out. That brought up all kinds of questions , like if there is a difference between a 2 stroke and a four stroke carburetor? Air cooled vs. water cooled engine? While I have abandoned the thought of trying to adapt a carb, I still wonder about the differences, and the "How'd they do dat" :confused: thing

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Safe to say, carburetors are pretty much engineered to the engine they are to be used on. You can spend a lot of time attempting to make something else "work", but if it works at all well you should win some sort of prize.

Tassie 1

Chief Petty Officer
Probably a silly question but have you seen the US seagull site in Shoreline WA?
seems to have parts in stock

Have to excuse my ignorance as l don't actually know which part of the US the WA stands for,

( Tasmania, Australia )

F_R

Supreme Mariner
WA = Washington (State). Not to be confused with Washington DC, Nation's capitol.

todd281

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I did see that site , but it seems he did not have much to offer for my needs. thanks for the suggestion though.