1952 Scott Atwater 1-20 7.5HP Outboard motor

Hello I just picked this motor up from a friend i was told its been sitting for 2years and because it had a gas leak but he didn't know where so i pulled cover off and right under the tank i see a valve assembly looks like the gasket is roached bad im assuming the leak is there is there anywhere i can get parts? Also what is the Fuel oil ratio im new at boat motors so i didnt understnd 50-1 or 30-1 ect. someone said but wasnt syre it was 1/2 pint 30WT motor oil to 1 gallon unleaded is that true? also where does the gear oil go? and what kind and where? thanks Mike

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Fuel mix is 16-1 use normal tcw-3 2 strk oil. Gear oil/grease goes into the lower unit. The AOMCI will be your friend for parts and help. There are no new parts available for that motor so you end up making a lot of your own. Waterpumps are available also contact the Aomci. I collect more after McCulloch bought Scott out. But I do know that Scott carb has some interesting features.

Awesome do you know if a gasket or seal is needed when I pull both vent screw and filler screw out? Also the shifter is pretty tight I can get forward and neutral but straight down reverse is hard is there a way to free it up

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Try turning the prop as you shift. You may need new gaskets for the screws. Ask the moderator to move this to other outboard forum. spend $40 and join the AOMCI.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
That doo-hicky under the gas tank is a fuel shut-off valve, which closes when the speed control lever is moved to the full stop position. They were un-necessarily complicated and leaky even when new. You are on your own when it comes to fixing it.

16:1 translates to 1/2 pint of oil per gallon of gas for us mathematically challenged.

Lower unit takes outboard motor grease, no longer made. Most people use Lubriplate 105 "motor assembly grease" from NAPA stores. OR "Corn Head Grease" from John Deere dealers.

There is more force required to get it into reverse because it has to compress a spring inside the prop shaft. Also, it locks the motor down so it doesn't tilt up in reverse. That lock-down stuff may be rusted or otherwise out of whack.