Eska no spark

Dble414

Recruit
ok guys I’m stumped and maybe someone can help me , I’ve gone through the threads already to no avail.
I have a Eska 3.5 hp 1977 motor model number 14034b and I can’t get spark . I’ve replaced the coil,points ( also set the points to .020) and condenser . Does the flywheel to this model

tomhath

Master Chief Petty Officer
I don't know about that model, but on some of those Eska motors the ignition is grounded when the throttle lever is on stop.

The points should open just as the magnet on the flywheel passes the coil.

Do you have a multi-meter? A cheap one will do, check if the resistance to ground at the condenser changes when the points are opened and closed by hand. The resistance with the points open is very low, maybe 1.5 ohms - but you should see a change in the reading a little when the points are closed. If not there is a short to ground somewhere or the points aren't making good contact.

Also check the resistance across the points with the wire to the coil disconnected, it should go from open to closed circuit as the points are opened and closed.

Dble414

Recruit
I do not have one on hand but sure I can get one. Here’s a pic of the flywheel and where what looks like magnets would be ? But it is also magnetized there now pretty strong

Attachments

• photo300050.jpg
    photo300050.jpg
    753.9 KB · Views: 0

Dble414

Recruit
I cleaned up the magents with sand paper and it runs ! Now seems to be an idle issue I’ll have to figure out but not bad for pulling it out of the dump !