1990 Gamefisher 5HP Lower Unit

Skilldog

Recruit
Model #225-587503
I'm having trouble removing the "retainer" around the prop shaft. I have removed the 4 allen screws, but am at a loss as how to grab the retainer and pull it out. There is very little to get purchase on to pull. It's part 18 in the diagram.

I've gotten to this point by pulling the lower unit and replacing the impeller. When I was removing the impeller, I also pulled out the drive shaft. Now, the prop won't turn and I can't seem to get the drive shaft to grab anything down in the gear housing (just spins, and seem to go down too far to the point that the pin (key) no longer spins the impeller).

I read on another thread that the pinion gear may have fallen, and I'll need to pull the unit apart to check/re-align. I really can't see anything when I look down in the unit with a flashlight.

Total noob here. Any advice is appreciated!

Attachments

• photo293897.jpg
    photo293897.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 1

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
The manual says to put 2 bolts in and use 2 screw drivers to pull it out. Check your private messages, I sent you one,

Skilldog

Recruit
Absolutely right. There are 2 unused threaded holes in the retainer (different size than the 4 allens) that you put bolts in and pull out that way. Then, there's a rubber o-ring under it (part 17) that needs to come out. Now I'm to the point of using a puller to get the cage assembly (part 15) and prop shaft seal (part 16) out of there. The manual I have says to reinstall the retainer (part 18) with 2 bolts before pulling the cage assembly. Seems unnecessary, but I guess I'm gonna do what it says!

Attachments

• photo294160.jpg
    photo294160.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 1