1980 Chrysler Sea King 15HP - Dies at idle, hard to restart

Limey2632

Recruit
I have a Montgomery Ward engine that I understand to be a 15 HP Chrysler Sea King.
I have spent a lot of money trying to get it running smoothly but still I have problems.

History of repairs: After sitting a few years drained of fuel the engine ran but would didn't have power unless at half choke. I took it to the local boat shop and they said they tuned it and replaced the impellor inside as water wasn't cooling the motor.

I tried out the motor and it was working better and no choke but d

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
sounds like a carb problem or fuel delivery or air/fuel mix. Rebuild carb soak it and blow it out with air compressor

Limey2632

Recruit
The shop "supposedly" did clean out the carb but because they didn't have the kit for it they didn't remove any of the plugs and I think there has to still be a partial blockage somewhere. I need to find a carb kit for what I believe to be a 1980 Chrysler Sea King outboard.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Check cylinder compression, if under 100 PSI could be difficult to start or die soon afterwords started and will need to choke it again for a restart. Probably need a new ring set or piston/ring set combo along machine shop work.

Happy Boating