1954 Elgin 7.5HP 571.58772 Looking for some info on her

LouB64

Cadet
Hi. I recently bought a 1954 Elgin 571.58772 without testing her out. Days prior, I had bought a 1955 Johnson CD-12 but it was easier to test for spark and compression by just unsnapping the cowl and removing it to get to the plugs. I was told the Elgin was purchased from an antique outboard dealer and he had replaced the water pump, clean the carb and had done some other things about 6 years ago. It was used up until 2 years ago and ran great the last time out, in which all the fuel was expended. On her face she looked well preserved. I didn't see anything that would come off without a screwdriver so I took the guy at his work and bought it. Since the gas tank looks to be under the flywheel how do I take it apart to check the carb and get to the spark plugs. If the points need cleaning are they easy to get to? Would anyone have a diagram or let me know how to take it apart to check for compression, spark and to get the carb. Also then, once I check for compression, what range would be acceptable? How do I change the oil on the lower unit? Is this Elgin water or air cooled? Once I get ready to start her up, what's the best brands and fuel/oil mix to put in her? Thank you.

Attachments

• photo282627.png
    photo282627.png
    1,020.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

LouB64

Cadet
Thanks flyingscott... Great site. I have a parts book on the way for the unit. That's a good start. Tx