Champion 4.2 hp carburetor issues

Old56

Seaman
My champion motor starts runs for a few seconds then dies out. I rebuilt the carb but am getting mixed info,I've read the carb float should hang 1/32 of inch below rim at its lowest point and other article says it should hang 1/32 from top of of float the fuel filter in the tank is clean it sounds like the motor is just not getting enough fuel,any suggestions or advice would go a long way. I'm true lily stumped on this problem.

RCO

Petty Officer 1st Class
Are you sure the carb is getting enough fuel to it? The fuel shut off valve and screen in the tank like to get plugged up. I could be wrong, but I don't think 1/32" on the float height would cause a start/stall within a few seconds. I would pull the bowl drain screw and open the shut off valve to check for flow.

Old56

Seaman
The flow is ok,I'm not sure what's going on maybe it's just a bad carb.ill keep plugging along till I get it right. Got the whole New England winter to figure it out thanks for all the advice.

CamaroMan

Petty Officer 1st Class
try an aux fuel hook up. Your idle jet might be blocked - a gravity feed straight to the carb would eliminate a bad pump/air lock in fuel line / etc. .

Old56

Seaman
Thanks for the info,on the champion outboard it is gravity fed and no fuel pump. I rebuilt the carb and am still having problems with flooding,I put in a new needle and seat so I'm scratching my head to figure out why she's flooding. I have the float set at 1/32 inch below carb bowl when upside down,if anyone had same issues and corrected the problem I'd like to hear the fix.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
So, it is flooding even with a new needle & seat? Sounds to me like the carburetor bowl vent is plugged up. Don't say I'm wrong until you actually check it.

Old56

Seaman
Hey F-R, i did check the vent,it's not the problem and I did check. Finally figured it out. When i purchased the rebuild kit they weren't making the kit for the model I have but they did have a substitute I didn't notice that the gasket was a little wider than the original, got out the trusty razor. Problem solved. The float was getting hung up on the gasket not allowing it to close. Thanks for the input.