Scott Mcculloch / Wizard 10 hp adding MOB kill switch

Tech Tony

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi y'all,. I am trying to put a man overboard switch on my 59 Wizard 10 hp. I got the sea dog universal one. There are 4 prongs 2 for ignition, and 2 for magneto, which I what mine is. I ran two wires through the mag plate and attached to the points where the condenser wires attach. But the 2 magneto prongs are only common with each other when you pull off the cord. I don't see how it can ground them to the block, or the shroud because the switch body is plastic or nylon that doesn't conduct. All that happens is the 2 wires become common with each other, which they seem to be anyway when ohmed with a volt meter. the instructions suck with this switch. Can anyone shed some light?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Not to worry, everything is as it should be. Connecting the two wires together is what the switch does when the lanyard is pulled. That shorts the two sides of the magneto together, and kills the spark.

Your Ohm meter is showing correctly too. There is continuity (with slight resistance) through the primary windings of the coils.

Hook it up as designed and it will work, as you will find out if you pull the lanyard.

Tech Tony

Petty Officer 2nd Class
OK,Fr,. Thank you, I was afraid to try it I didn't know if it would fry the coils which are tough to find. Now I feel better.