Champion 1J212 lower unit oil change

Old56

Seaman
Little help again I want to change the lower unit oil on the champion 1J212 outboard and I'm not sure what gear lube to use on my other old motors I use HV 80W-90 is this ok to use on the champion? I can't find any info on it,and my computer skills are iffy at best any help would be well,helpful. Thanks

Old56

Seaman
Also I just removed what I thought was the drain screw and nothing came out, I then took off the plate behind the prop and it looks like thick black grease. Is this just really old lube or was something else used on these lower units other than gear lube,now I'm really confused. Knowledge of this problem would greatly ease my woes. Thanks in advance.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Back in those days, they used "Outboard Motor Gear Grease", no longer made. Most people today use Lubriplate 105 Motor Assembly Grease, available from NAPA stores, or "Corn Head Grease" available from John Deere tractor dealers. The Lubriplate is handy because it comes in a squeeze tube..

EDIT: Forget the 80-90 oil. It will just leak out.

Old56

Seaman
Thanks F-R,that's great info should I clean out the old Grease prior to putting in the new one? Or just add too it.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Your choice. I suppose I'd clean it out if I were doing it.

Old56

Seaman
Yea it was a dumb question. Looks like I've got some work to do on it tomorrow,I think I have the old outboard bug,really enjoy working on them. Thanks fo all your help.