60's Model Ted Williams

Bluewater84

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just picked up this little gem at a yard sale yesterday. Sorry for the pic. Ive tried to post a few on here and it always uploads sideways. any help remedying this would be appreciated. About the motor. Its a 60's model Ted Williams single cylinder, air cooled 7.5hp. Its in great shape. nothing seems to be broken on it except for the choke knob which has been replaced by a drywall screw that seems to work just fine. The Model # is 3A146522. Chassis I.D. is 217-5888-1. I've been looking online for an eska/ ted Williams lookup engine but have had no luck. Anybody out there with any additional info on it I'm all ears. It has good compression and a brand new spark plug. I need to get in there and clean the carb. My biggest issue right now is a fuel source. I do not have the coupler/adapter, whatever you wanna call it that feeds fuel into the motor. The female piece looks to be in good shape. Any thoughts on a place who might have this piece in stock (relatively cheap of course). I know these motors are getting hard to find parts for but if I could put a minimal amount into and have a backup for my 14ft v hull then I'm all for it. Thanks!!!

Attachments

• photo277087.JPG
    photo277087.JPG
    145.6 KB · Views: 0

tomhath

Master Chief Petty Officer
I think that's usually called a Chrysler fuel fitting. You can find them on ebay.

Make sure you have a good spark before spending too much money on that motor. If it's electronic ignition the parts are no longer available.

Bluewater84

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks Tom! I just finished disassembling the carb. It actually didn't look that bad. Quick question me bein a newbie and all. How will I know if its an electronic ignition. The motor has a manual pull cord but I assume you mean electric start? Not sure if that is the same thing. Also I just want to make sure that because its an air cooled motor I don't have to have the prop submerged in water to start it up considering it does have an impeller. Or so Ive read from the research. Is this correct? Cheers!

Bluewater84

Petty Officer 2nd Class
one more question. could I potentially swap out the Chrysler fitting for a standard marine fuel tank connector? The standard two prong clip? I believe its all standard 1/4''.

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Its not electronic or SSI which is solid state...Should have points and condensor

Bluewater84

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The model I have says Solid State Ignition on the top of the cover. What does that mean exactly? What's the difference?

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Your motor was made in the 70s by Eska I believe. There may be a water pump in the leg that cools the exhaust. If your motor would have been made in the 60s it would have been a twin cylinder watercooled Mcculloch built motor.

Bluewater84

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Oh ok. That sounds about right. the guy that sold it to me said it was a 60's but after looking at other models it looked more like a 70's. Is there any place to lookup the numbers on the motor? All I really need now is a female fuel fitting for the fuel line. Ive found them for about $15. Just nee to order one since no one around sells them locally. What is the fuel mix ratio on this motor? 50:1? 24:1?

tomhath

Is the fitting you need for the tank end or the motor? If tank you can just get a cheap barb fitting at any hardware store.

But as I said before, check that you have a spark before spending any money on it. Those motors use an early design CDI (Capacitive Discharge Ignition) that is prone to failure and no longer available

Bluewater84

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just went out and pulled the cord with the plug out. I have good spark! :D​ The fitting that I need is for the tank end. Its a quick connect coupling that looks like this.

tomhath

how is the male side connected to the tank? It's probably just threaded in; if so you can take it out and replace with a brass fitting from the hardware store

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
The model I have says Solid State Ignition on the top of the cover. What does that mean exactly? What's the difference?
Then its a 70s model and Solid state ignition replaced the points and condesor. If you have spark then your good. You got lucky

Bluewater84

Petty Officer 2nd Class
how is the male side connected to the tank? It's probably just threaded in; if so you can take it out and replace with a brass fitting from the hardware store

yeah its threaded in. So your saying replace it with a hose barb or another type of quick connect? Which would be better?

Bluewater84

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks brim_buster! I appreciate that! as soon as I get this fuel line situation under control I'll giver her a crank. I am also missing the FILL screw and VENT screw for the oil. And the bottom gear shield on the foot is missing but I'm pretty sure I have a replacement for that. Any idea where to get these screws? Are they special or can I just get them at a hardware store? Thanks!

tomhath

I'd use a barb fitting. I think it's a 3/8" pipe thread but bring the old one in to be sure.

Usually the fill and vent are plugs rather than regular screws, and they require a special "crush" washer to seal out water. I don't know for sure about that model.

You would do well to get a repair manual for your motor.

Last edited:

Bluewater84

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Good call. OK I'll check that out thanks. I'll keep you updated on what happens

tomhath

The motor should have the model # plate mounted on the bracket. Find that and you can get the right manual, reprints don't cost much. I don't know of any for free.