Negative terminal smoking

Wheeler17

Recruit
Hi, I am posting this on behalf of my boyfriend and we are both fairly inexperienced with boat mechanics. We tried to start the boat up for the first time since the winter and are having issues. When turnin the key power is being received by the stero, fish finder, leg lifts but it won't turn over or start. Also the negative on the battery gets really hot and begins to smoke/ spark. We have cleaned the battery posts, terminals etc and no luck. Not sure what to try next as we have googled the problem and seems like there could be many seperate issues causing the problem. Can anyone suggest what we could check next to narrow it down or anyone have had this issue themselves? Thanks in advance.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Re: Negative terminal smoking

#1, make absoutly shure you do not have the battery hooked up backwards- neg to positive post. It has to be positive to pos,neg to neg.
#2 check both ends of all cables for corrosion,even right where the neg hooks to the block,hard to get to on some but needs to be checked.
If it got that hot it needs to be replaced,it overheats the wire and causes more resistance,not good.
Let us know how it goes!
Grub
Also how about a pic of the battery/motor where the problem is,and model serial numbers!

Last edited:

woody66912

Senior Chief Petty Officer

#1, make absoutly shure you do not have the battery hooked up backwards- neg to positive post. It has to be positive to pos,neg to neg.
#2 check both ends of all cables for corrosion,even right where the neg hooks to the block,hard to get to on some but needs to be checked.
If it got that hot it needs to be replaced,it overheats the wire and causes more resistance,not good.
Let us know how it goes!
Grub
Also how about a pic of the battery/motor where the problem is,and model serial numbers!

And along with this if you have wing nuts replace them with nuts.

Wheeler17

Recruit

The battery is hooked up correctly, we've tripled checked that because that's what we first thought it was. I've also cleaned and sanded where the positive and negative enter the engine. Again there's power and a humming coming from the engine but when I turn the key to start the engine there is a loud "click" then nothing. Turn the key back to remove it and a constant beep begins. Have to disconnect and reconnect the battery for another attempt.

Wheeler17

Recruit

Here are a couple photos of the engine, hope they can help!

Attachments

• photo(1).jpg
    photo(1).jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo(2).jpg
    photo(2).jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 0

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

Remove the starter and have it tested.

Wheeler17

Recruit

We are going to try to get the starter out today and I will let it know. Thanks!

fishrdan

Admiral

If the starter needs to be replaced, don't buy an "automotive" starter, buy a "marine" starter (ignition protected). A marine starter will cost 2-3 times as much compared to an automotive starter, but worth it for safety concerns.

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

Or.....If the starter is bad...Have it rebuilt by a starter/Alt shop. Much cheaper and you know it's the right one