Yamaha stern-drive engine mount question...

xxTheJokerxx

Cadet
OK, well my wife and I recently purchased my first boat. A 1992 Celebrity 190BR with a Yamaha 5.7L I/O engine. My question is as follows:

While pressure testing the cooling system, a core "freeze" plug behind the right engine mount popped out. What is the best way to support the engine while replacing the plug? The stringer the mount is bolted to runs directly under the exhaust manifold, can I just put a jack or support from the stringer to the manifold? I'm really trying to avoid pulling the engine for a $.35 cent plug.

Thanks in Advance.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Yamaha stern-drive engine mount question...

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,.... You really oughta pull the drive 1st, then do as you say to replace the core plug,...
The outdrive's input shaft is stuck into the coupler, bolted to the motor's flywheel,...
Don't wanta Bend that stuff up, fixin' the core plug,....

After you disturb the motor's mountin', ya gotta check the gimbel bearing Alignment, just as on any other outdrive,...

How was it winterized, 'n by whom,..??

Hopefully, that core plug popped out is the Only Damage from their failure at winterizin' it...
A Cracked block still is a possibility...

xxTheJokerxx

Cadet

I've go a feeling it either wasn't winterized at all or very poorly by the previous owner. There's a hairline crack on the exterior of the block that we found with an X-ray at my diesel shop, but it's not visible by looking. I've ran it for a while & there's no water in the oil or lifter valley, so hopefully I'm all good after the core plug.

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

Sounds like you might have just gotten R-E-A-L lucky. Lets hope so!

xxTheJokerxx

Cadet

Taz, I do hope so...if not,the 355 built

xxTheJokerxx

Cadet

Taz, I do hope so...if not,the 355 built for my other project might see marine duty instead of the street!

Bondo

Staff member

Taz, I do hope so...if not,the 355 built for my other project might see marine duty instead of the street!

Ayuh,.... Do some Searchin',.... You'd probably do better startin' off with something Other than the Yamaha drive system....

'n Street motors don't necessarily make good Boat motors,....
gotta be careful with the cam choices....

xxTheJokerxx

Cadet

Bond-o, I agree entirely...the Yamaha drive has me a little bit baffled. There's a local guy that has a surplus of new-old-stock parts here in town but it's not nearly as familiar as the Alpha-One I'm used to on my dad's boat. If I have to switch the engine, I might switch the drive as well...or maybe just the whole boat all together. :lol:

Bondo

Staff member

Bond-o, I agree entirely...the Yamaha drive has me a little bit baffled. There's a local guy that has a surplus of new-old-stock parts here in town but it's not nearly as familiar as the Alpha-One I'm used to on my dad's boat. If I have to switch the engine, I might switch the drive as well...or maybe just the whole boat all together. :lol:

Ayuh,.... That's sorta what I was hintin' at, but tryn' to be polite....

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

Yamaha was only in the sterndrive business for a couple of years and completely vanished as quickly as they entered it leaving all that bought them completely unsupported. I you have a guy in town who still has parts for them you need to make him your new best friend ;) if you decide to keep the drive. Alpha-one now in it's second generation since 1991, I believe, would be a better choice for you if you have the funds to make the change. Parts are readily available and cheap, relatively speaking, and most everybody services them if you run into a problem you can't fix yourself.