Aluminum Oil Pan?

Doolin

Seaman
Hello,

I've got a Ford 302 pushing a jet pump in my 2000 Duckworth. The oil pan is rusted, has cracked and is leaking. I've carefully cleaned and JB Welded is a couple times. That got me through a couple seasons but I need to replace the pan. I've found the identical oil pan which is stamped steel with rear mid sump used in marine applications.

If I've got to go through all the effort of replacing the pan... I'd really rather not put the same piece of garbage back on.

I've found many low cost oil pans made of aluminum but so far... none that will work with my 'marine application' sump location.

The standard stamped steel one is about $200, the nice aluminum ones I've found for less than $75.

Anyone have a suggestion as to where to look to find a good quality oil pan that will fit?

Thanks.

joewithaboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Aluminum Oil Pan?

I know nothing specific to your setup, but almost all oem marine pans were used on autos for some thing else. If you could find out what it shouldn't be $200.00. As to changing it be-careful i know for sure ford used different oil pick up locations and heights. Pick up should be very close to bottom of pan, like 1/4 inch close.

Out of shear curiosity how did you break a oil pan?

harman79

Seaman Apprentice

I have a couple aluminum oil pans that came with a set of 302 marine engines engines I used for parts. They were used on inboard 302's with v drives. They seem to hold more oil than my stock steel pan. May be better than what you have.

scoflaw

Ensign

Nothing will fit as well as that oem steel pan. Have yet to bolt on an aftermarket aluminum pan that didn't leak eventually, especialy the cheap variety. I personally would put a bulletproof paint on the steel pan. Bed liner paint, or POR worked for me

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Just use a steel one and have it hot dip galvanised. The corrosion advantages of an ali pan will soon be offset by the leaking gasket, due to the different coefficients of expansion of the ali pan and the iron block...

Chris.......

Tahorover

Chief Petty Officer

Just use a steel one and have it hot dip galvanised. The corrosion advantages of an ali pan will soon be offset by the leaking gasket, due to the different coefficients of expansion of the ali pan and the iron block...

Chris.......
It's never happened to me! My Stock OE aluminum oil pan.

Attachments

• moparoilpan.jpg
    moparoilpan.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 0

Tahorover

Chief Petty Officer

Consider yourself one of the few lucky ones...
LOL Are you really trying to say that a cast iron block and a steel sheet metal oil pan are going to react to heat at the same rate!

Now that is a reach!