yamaha stern drive shift cable binding

mikey2003

Recruit
Can anyone help me out with removing the shift cable froma yamaha stern drive in my 1993 boat? I have the lower unit off and the end of the cable un hooked from the idle interupt lever. How or what do I have to disconnect to get to the output end of the cable. I have read about issues with binding slide mechanisms, bent cables, corroded linkage....Does anyone have diagrams or instuctions they can send or fax to me?

Capt Ken

Commander
Re: yamaha stern drive shift cable binding

With the drive off and the engine end of the cable disconnected, can you slide the cable in and out very easy? Is the bronze fork on the front of your drive easy to move from side to side. When I say easy, I mean using one finger with very little stiffness.
To remove the cable, remove plastic end and round barrel from the engine end of the cable. To remove the barrel, knock out the two pins holding it in place. Slide a length of ice maker plastic tubing over the threads, usually a 3-4 foot piece will be long enough. You'll see why in a minute. Remove the lock bolt holding the adjustment nut on the shift slide on the outdrive end. Count the turns when removing the adjustment nut, should be 17. Slide the slide off. Weld two 17mm deep set sockets together and use this extra long socket to remove the nut holding the cable in place. Pull cable out the back of the housing. Remove clamp on the shift bellows and pull the cable out the rear of the boat. When you see the plastic ice maker tubing appear, stop and remove the tube from the cable. You will attach this tube to the new cable and use it to guide the cable back into the boat.

suisun96

Recruit

Does anyone know where I can order a shift cable and other parts for my 1991 Yamaha L4 3.0 stern drive engine?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Go up to Capt Kens reply and click on his name and go to his profile. Then go to his home page.
In the future, it's best to start a new thread with your questions, not as a reply to someone elses old thread.