94 Yamaha 5.0 V8 Need Help!! plus a FUNNY Story

dliebe

Cadet
I will try and make this post not so long but I do have to tell a story before my question because it is funny as heck!! I just bought this 94 Renken off of Ebay a few days ago with a friend and was real excited to get it home and put it in the water. Me and a friend launched this boat and realized it was sinking, yea, the drain plug was out LOL. Anyways my friend paniced and was repeatingly say "dear god we sunk our expletive boat" dove into the water with a rope to pull it to the dock barely making it not even thinking about putting the drain plug back in. It was a site to see :)

Ok so here it is, the boat was in the water like 15 minutes with no drain plug in, it took on a lot of water plus the fact that the bilage pump got clogged and was not pumping out water. My friend did put the plug in while still on the water and we waited to start it back up when the level dropped a bit. We had this boat full throttle and was going like 5 MPH. Was it because the boat was full of water or is there something else wrong? Also noticed that both the sterndrive u-joint and exhaust bellows were shot, completely torn. Did we mess up anything by putting this into the water with torn bellows? We tore the lower unit out and come to find out these bellows are nearly impossible to find, wish I would have known this before I bought the boat but oh well. Any advice?

1994 Renken Yamaha 5.0 V8 here is the link to what I bought.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1994...007QQitemZ170223342882QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Last edited:

dliebe

Cadet
Re: 94 Yamaha 5.0 V8 Need Help!! plus a FUNNY Story

Is there Anyone who can tell me if the boat was very sluggish because of all the water in it or do I have other problems? Thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

What is heavy, get it out of the boat and try it.

Capt Ken

Commander

Yep start with removing water. Wouldn't put it back in with the torn bellows and they are not hard to get. We ship almost daily but they ain't cheap.

dliebe

Cadet

Tell me about it. I found OEM bellows on ebay for $151 and $79 so I purchased both of them. Wouldn't mind being linked to a site where I can actually get parts for this when needed. Thanks

Capt Ken

Commander

I'm beginning to think I'm the only one in the South still dealing with these units. Name of business is Nelson Marine Service. Just use that name with a dot com after it and you can find us.

dliebe

Cadet

Replaced the bellows, spark plugs, oil , water seperator, oil filter and cleaned the carb. Took it to the lake, put the plug in LOL and she started up great and ran like a champ.. The linkage is off because when I put her in neutral she wants to stall and stay in gear. I have to play with it for it to pop out of gear. I guess replacing the linkage is next?