yamaha stern drive shift problems

TeeCPee

Recruit
Hey, new to the site. It seems this is the best place to learn about repairs. I have a 1993 VIP with a L4 3.0 and Yamaha stern drive. The shift problem is this; I thought it was in the cables, well that is not the case because the cables when not connected to the linkage move freely. I have removed the lower unit from the gimbal housing and checked the control cable to see if that was the problem. Cable is fine, however the shift rod is difficult to move. Is the problem in the shift rod linkage or other. please advise

Thanks

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: yamaha stern drive shift problems

with the outdrive removed look at the top of the shift shaft where it enters the bushing, thats most likly the culprit, the bushing would corrode a bit and lock up the shaft.
best I remember the upper and lower had to be seperated to clean the bushing and shaft.
havent seen one in this area in several years but in the late ninties I did many of them.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Welcome to iboats.....:)

Capt Ken

Commander

Drain drive, split halves, tap out bronze fork carefully. Easy to bend. Drill out bushings one size over and reassemble. That will solve the shifting problem

Rudemen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Drain drive, split halves, tap out bronze fork carefully. Easy to bend. Drill out bushings one size over and reassemble. That will solve the shifting problem

Hi Capt Ken, what do you mean by one size over? Drill bit size?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Welcome aboard rudeman, If you have a question, please start a new thread and ask it and stop replying to these old threads per the forum rules and the announcement at the top of the forum (this thread is from 2008). Here is the announcement if you didn't see it.

http://forums.iboats.com/announcement.php?f=446