Yamaha stern drive problems

Kenneth Brooks

Recruit
Please help!! I have a 1991 Chaparral with a 4.3 engine. I bought this thing with a over heating problem. It has cracked the block & heads, that I knew. When I tore it all the way down, I found no reason for this to have happen?? The raw water pump impeller looked new, so I checked the plastic pipe that is between the engine & the transom. That is where I think the problem is??? How does this thing come out and where can I find this?? I also found the exhaust bellow was torn apart. where can I find this? The orginal owner said it ran hot with him and he took it to a marina where they changed the thermostat and impeller, We all know this did not fix it. He thought the guage was bad and puked the engine. Can anyone help with some info on this. I know Yamaha does not offer parts??? then who??

tommays

Admiral
Re: Yamaha stern drive problems

wait a bit

capt ken will be able to help you

Tommays

Capt Ken

Commander

Ta-da, here I is!!!! Be sure the plastic tube is the problem. You will need to remove the drive and pull the bellhousing. Then remove the intake water line on the outside. Then inside, remove the two bolts holding the retaining collar around the tube. You will then need to pry out the tapered rubber seal the collar is holding in place. When you get the seal out, you should them be able to remove the tube for inspection. This only works if you have room to work behind the engine. I can dig up a tube and any other part you need.

Bondo

Staff member

2 Hours,+ 45 minutes,............

Not Bad Capt.....................................

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I understand Capt Ken is a Maytag repairman between Yammy sterndrive jobs. :p:p:rolleyes:;)

Capt Ken

Commander

BTY Don, your wife was complaining about the skidmarks in your drawers the other day but I suggested the heavy duty cycle.