cant find this assembly behind crankshaft on 318 Chrysler, 1973 Gibson Houseboat

JeffKingTulsa

Seaman Apprentice
Got a new Jasper 318 marine long block we are trying to put back in to replace a bad 318 single engine in a 1973 Gibson Houseboat. We couldnt get the motor to slide forward to get it to come out so we had to unbolt this piece (which broke). It connects to the rear of the crankshaft and goes into the drive housing. I can't find it on any of the pages at http://www.***********************/Ch...6874-dafly.htm (Where we have been getting the rest of the replacement parts)

Does anyone know what this is called? What it does? Does it usually break and is hard to get off? Any links to where I can order another?

Thanks a ton!
Jeff

Attachments

• photo333329.jpg
    photo333329.jpg
    487.7 KB · Views: 1

Bondo

Staff member
Does anyone know what this is called? What it does? Does it usually break and is hard to get off?

Ayuh,...... Does it have a Dana drive,..??..??

It looks like the throw-out bearin', that operates the clutch,....

Ya, they wear out when not greased,.....

Bondo

Staff member
Yes it is. Any idea where to get that assembly?? I cant find it anywhere?

Ayuh,.... In the picture, it's an Assembly,.....

What's wrong with it,..??

If the bearing part is grittin', rough turnin',....
You could probably find a throw-out bearin', from a standard transmission that could be swapped into the Assembly,....

Used to be able to buy every piece of that motor, 'n drive at Marysville Marine in Marysville Mich,......
The links died,.... donno what happened to 'em,......

The bearin' is probably a Dodge part,..... Dana was a part of Chrysler,.....

harringtondav

Commander
Bob, the Dana drives used a Dodge clutch, 'n pressure plate, actuated by hyd. pressure from a P/S pump to shift the drives,.....

I'm pretty sure that's the throw-out bearin' assembly,.....

...can't help myself. Too far after beer thirty. Now I know two highly respected contributor/moderator's first names.

I saw this post early but held off 'cause of little knowledge of V drives. My first guess was a torsion dampening drive coupler. "Found it being called a flexible joint assembly" per AD. My only experience with big boat drives is my pal's two Borg Warner Velvet Drives. Self contained trans pump with cable actuated disc clutch shifting. Trans fluid reservoir in the unit.

So...where the shift cable goes may help answer the question.

JeffKingTulsa

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks allDodge, trying to find it on that page.

Bondo, see the crack around the base? That whole flange broke off. The assembly is at the boat shop so I cant look at it but is there a way we can just get the bottom piece and use the top, i guess what I would call, coupling?

Its not a V drive tho right. Its a 318 V8 that connects to a Dana

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if you cant find the part, take it to a qualified machine shop and have one machined. while you can weld cast iron by pre-heating and using a high-nickle rod, that is becoming a lost art with many welders.

Bondo

Staff member
Thanks allDodge, trying to find it on that page.

Bondo, see the crack around the base? That whole flange broke off. The assembly is at the boat shop so I cant look at it but is there a way we can just get the bottom piece and use the top, i guess what I would call, coupling?

Its not a V drive tho right. Its a 318 V8 that connects to a Dana

Ayuh,........ Wilbur Wahl, in Clayton Ny,...... French Creek marina,....

If his boy Hientz(like the ketchup) can't find that piece for you, nobody can,.....

The top is the workin', wear-out part, replace it too,.....

JeffKingTulsa

Seaman Apprentice
This site is a life saver!! Thank you everyone. One step closer. I finally found this page when searching clutch release bearing marine parts express dana. It is piece number 8 which i might as well replace while I am at it but i still need helping trying to figure out what to call and where to find the flange piece

Attachments

• photo333444.jpg
    photo333444.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 0

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... It bolts to the transom housing, ..... the other 1/2 will be there,.....

French Creek Marina,.....