Hose clamp is pushing exhaust bellows off of pivot housing

ryno1234

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just replaced my exhaust bellows with a new one. While tightening down the hoseclamp, the exhaust bellows is squeezed off of the mounting point on the pivot housing. This is the only place it does this. It does NOT do it on the transom side of things. That clamps down fine and holds the bellows in place.

I did this relatively soon after putting the bellows adhesive on (maybe 5 minutes after). That adhesive tacks up REAL quick so I figured this would be enough time to hold things in place while tightening the hose clamp. No such luck, it started to move the bellows away from the pivot housing as I tightened it more and more.

Is there a trick to this? Should I let the adhesive fully dry before cranking the hose clamp down?

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
If it's just the exhaust bellows and none of the other two, don't sweat it. Mine popped off a couple years ago and I just left it. It's still attached to the transom side and it's just sitting there.

The exhaust bellows will absolutely not cause water to enter your boat. Period.

It's now just basically acting as an exhaust tube. Look up exhaust tube. An exhaust tube is just an open rubber tube that only attaches to the transom side.

Now, if it's the shift bellows or the u-joint bellows, it has to be fixed. Either of those can sink your boat.

Bondo

Staff member
I just replaced my exhaust bellows with a new one. While tightening down the hoseclamp, the exhaust bellows is squeezed off of the mounting point on the pivot housing. This is the only place it does this. It does NOT do it on the transom side of things. That clamps down fine and holds the bellows in place.

I did this relatively soon after putting the bellows adhesive on (maybe 5 minutes after). That adhesive tacks up REAL quick so I figured this would be enough time to hold things in place while tightening the hose clamp. No such luck, it started to move the bellows away from the pivot housing as I tightened it more and more.

Is there a trick to this? Should I let the adhesive fully dry before cranking the hose clamp down?

Ayuh,...... Whatcha workin' on,..??..??

Bondo

Staff member
Found yer other thread, so this is the Yamaha,..??

Isn't there a groove in the housin' for the bellows to sit in, like most other drives,..??

ryno1234

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yup - Yamaha stern drive.

I ended up "fixing" it by running 2 small screws through the hose clamp, bellows and mounting point on the drive. Based upon hearing that the bellows for exhaust is not so important. Not my ideal fix by any means but it seems to be working. It's holding so far *fingers crossed*.

So, to answer your question, there is no groove in the housing for the exhaust, there is for the shift cables and the drive bellows however (weird?).

I think I realized the underlying issue. My new bellows seems to react differently (at least differently than I recall...) than my old one when it comes to compressing with the clamp. The material compresses and squeezes out from underneath the hose clamp pushing against the drive thus pushing the bellows away from the drive. Once it starts to do that, it just continues to slide off slowly.

I do not recall my old bellows compressing in this fashion. To be fair, Yamaha made this back in 89-91. Its possible that their design for the bellows has changed or using different material. I'm not sure.

Last edited:

ryno1234

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Update: The hose clamp that goes to the pivot housing that I screwed in is staying, but now the one which goes to the transom popped off.

I'm getting tired of this.

Just wanted to confirm that running with NO exhaust bellows is completely OK to do without harm to the outdrive (i.e. water being forced down the exhaust tube on the sterndrive). This is also where my shift lever is, so all this would be completely submerged in water (which I think it is anyway) but would also be subject to the force of water while in forward gear whereas previously it would have been saved from that by being within a bellow.

Just wanted to make sure before I throw in the towel and just pull the exhaust bellow off.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Clean off all the adhesive, install it dry. The adhesive actually makes it to slippery to hold. The driveshaft and shift bellows get the adhesive only.