283 stalling at idle

keykev

Seaman
ok here we go. I have a 1961 chris craft with a 283 and carter wcfb carb. I just replaced the fuel pump as my old one was pushing nothing at idle. plenty of fuel now. the boat has new lines and water separator filter. fuel sample at carb after sitting is nice amber color with no water. the strainer on the carb is also clean. the problem, boat starts easily and idles fine for 3 to 5 minutes then slowly shuts down as if running out of fuel. if I take it for a ride it will run well once its up over 1200 rpm. when returning to idle it will do the same thing. the return springs on the weights in the distributer are a little weak but have been for some time so I have kind of ruled this out although I am going to put a timing light on it today to check for drifting around. the boat has pretronic ignition that is probably 15 years old. distributer cap and rotor are also new. she is a pretty simple machine but cant figure it out yet. talking to her hasn't helped. I should add that accelerator pump and venturi nozzles spray strong. maybe the e10 fuel causing it, don't know, any help will be greatly appreciated. thank you, kevin….

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if after 3-5 minutes you start running out of fuel, most likely is there is a restriction at the tank or the vent is plugged.

so pull the tank sender and look in the tank. pull the anti-siphon valve and the fuel pickup and inspect.

most likely what ever is starving your current fuel pump is what murdered your prior fuel pump

also while you are at it, it would be a good idea to go thru the carb.

then on to your dizzy, simply get new fly weight springs for it.

keykev

Seaman
I,m going get a kit and do the carb this week and soak it over night. the boat is so old is has a straight fill ( I stick the tank) and only a 90 degree fitting welding on it with a 3/8 barb screwed in it for the line. would something this old have an anti siphon valve? just before it quits if I give it some quick throttle she picks right up and the process starts all over again. if there was a tank issue would it still cruise around all day above 1200 rpm. also, any idea where I might come up with dizzy springs, it is an auto-lite distributor thank you for your help sir, kevin....

Scott Danforth

Staff member
the hose barb fitting is the anti-siphon valve

remember, to use a fine wire to probe all the passages.

measure your fuel pressure

if giving it gas gets it to come back, then it may be in the carb.

you may need to go to a distributor shop (old speed shop with a distributor machine) or get direct from a prestolite distributor. auto-lite is a ford product. are you sure you dont mean prestolite? you can get prestolite distributor parts from your local napa. they may need to order the parts

keykev

Seaman
I,m going to pull that line off the tank now and check it out. I think im gonna try my 6 gallon outboard tank on the inlet of the separator for the heck of it, can,t hurt, distributer does say auto- lite on it just like that with dash in between. I thought that kinda strange to but it is one those pain the neck pain in neck flywheel forward engines

Scott Danforth

Staff member
its an inboard. the motor is installed backwards, and the crank snout is what is connected to the transmission

keykev

Seaman
just want to say thanks for the help, it was the carb. it was flooding at idle do to worn needles and seats. rebuilt it and she is back to normal. snaps right to life like she should and purrs, thanks......