Bravo III driveshaft removal

Ignatios

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello Gents,

Can someone help me out, I want to remove the drive shaft tomorrow on my 2000 Bravo III to replace the driveshaft seal because it was leaking to the bellow and then into the bilge dep.

The spanner nut off, this is the only thing I did today but the shaft didn't seems to wants to come out, is there other parts that I have to remove? and what do I have to do next? any tips and advise on how to do this job?

Thank you very much.

tpenfield

Staff member
I've done the job myself, but can't remember if there was anything after the castle nut. My only comments is that you really should have the Mercruiser Bravo Service Manual handy to do this sort of work.

alldodge

Staff member
It should come straight out and maybe the bearings races are cocking a bit. Do remove the top and rear caps because the rear has to come off to reset the timing. The top cap allows you to get a good look at things going in and out

harringtondav

Commander
This can take some finesse. There is very little clearance and any cocking will stick things. I use a dead blow hammer and tap the rear face of the engine coupler yoke shaft at the u joint holes while rotating the shaft between taps. This will help walk the assembly out. Once the outer bearing race shows you can see any cocking and tap accordingly.

Per tpenfield you really need a manual. Once you separate the shaft assembly from the bearing/pinion assembly you will need to reestablish rolling preload on the bearing assembly. This is super critical to get correct. aChris has a video showing the process.

Ignatios

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Alright Gents, Thank you very much, I got it out, apparently that the "Pro" that put it in a year ago just shoved it in and pinched the large O ring and I don't know if he even changed the sealer ...so anyhow you only need to take out the spaner nut and the assembly should come out in my case because there was pieces of that large Oring stuck in between I ahd to beat it out.i'll see if I can post pictures later.

But Thank you very much for help Gents.