Indmar Water Pump Housing Issues

mutiny

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello Group! I've got a head scratcher. I'm currently working on a 2004 Malibu Wakesetter with an Indmar 5.7 Vortec. The water pump housing is leaking from the rear seal. Like a waterfall. I've looked at the parts break down and can't seem to get it to come off the splined shaft. Removed the L bracket holding it in place, removed both hoses, and even the small screw between the inlet and outlet ports just to see if that helped. Nothing. I've put a bore scope in the front of the pump where the impeller goes to see if I could find an E clip or C clip and I cant see anything. I've looked at the back of the pump, and nothing is accessible from here. I'm lost. The only thing I can see is an O-ring if you look between the louvers about mid way down the pump. I've verified that the O-Ring isn't holding it in place. I've read other forums who say "just smack it with a hammer".... Well that didn't work. Heat didn't work.. Even gently putting a bearing splitter on it didn't work. Something is holding the housing to the splined shaft. The pump spins freely and smoothly but won't come off. Any suggestions?

alldodge

Staff member
Is this the crankshaft raw water pump or the engine circulating pump?

mutiny

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Got a pic?

What brand of pump? Jabso?

It looks like a Jabso pump but its crammed in there so tight I can't get a good picture of it. Removing it was part of the identifying process. We have just enough room to get it out if we can figure out the trick, without pulling the motor.

alldodge

Staff member
The pump can be a pain
Unsure about Indmar but most are secured by 4 bolt which screw into the front pulley. There is also a support bracket which holds pump and keeps load off hoses then motor is running. Remove the pump from the motor, then work on the pump