2000 Moomba Boomerang won't turnover / crank

bullsey398

Recruit
Looking for help on a 2000 Moomba Boomerang (5.7 Indmar) that won’t turnover/ crank. These are things I’ve checked/know so far…
  • Batt is fully charged.
  • Have power to Starter and Ignition switch
  • Motor cranks and starts when I jump across the starter solenoid.
  • Ign. Switch works. Shows 12+ volts at Starter terminal and I can run a jumper wire from the starter wire terminal (yellow/red wire) directly to the solenoid and it will start when the key is turned.
  • There is no voltage at the starter solenoid when the key is turned, if the jumper wire is removed.
  • I don’t have any voltage at the neutral interlock switch on the trans, but the switch is closed (per continuity). Also have jumpered this switch with no luck.
  • I do have power to the dash and other switches except for blower. There seems to be a short in the circuit board that prevents power from reaching the blower motor.
I am suspecting a problem with the circuit board behind the dash, but don’t know if there are any other fuses / switches between the dash and the starter that could be checked first?
Besides asking if anyone can think of other things to check… I would like to know if:
  1. Is there any harm in just by-passing the circuit board and running a direct line from the starter term. on the ignition switch to the starter solenoid.. and calling it a day?
  2. Does anyone know where I can find a replacement circuit board for this boat?
Really appreciate any help!
Greg

alldodge

Staff member
Haven't worked on an Indmar but it should have a slave relay on the motor. The Yell/Red wire from the key goes to the neutral safety switch, and then to the slave relay. When slave energizes, the relay transfers power from the main breaker on the motor Red/Purple thru relay and out the other side to a larger Yell/Red wire going to the starter solenoid

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Start by tracing the power to the ignition switvh from the engine

bullsey398

Recruit
Thanks guys! I found the issue... bad harness plug where the harness plugs into the main breaker. I had checked that the plug was tight,but it was still not connecting the starter circuit.

Appreciate the help!
Greg