Fuel dripping from primary’s holly carb

I have a 84, 351 on a CC Southwind. It’s got the holly 4160 on it and when I go to start it up it starts perfectly, but it is dripping fuel from the primary’s at idle, and my biggest concern is after I shut it off it pours fuel into the intake. When I go to start it again it has a hard start like the motor is flooded. I just did a rebuild kit and it did it before as well as now. Just wondering what could cause the fuel to pour that much out of the primary’s when it’s shut off and any test I could do to help determine the cause?

alldodge

Staff member
Recheck your float adjustment, its either set to high or the float needs replaced because its a bit heavier. Brass ones and leak, then the composite ones will soak up gas over many years

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Agree with AD, to look at float setting, side hung float is easy to adjuat

A few other things to look at

What is your fuel pressure? If over 7psi, it will power the float open

Did you replace the needle and seat? If not, do so

Did you trim the *** from the rubber check valve in the accelerator pump circuit? If not, the *** keeps the float from moving properly.

kenny nunez

Captain
Also when fuel leaks the way you are describing take a tiny piece of wire and push it through the air bleeds in the venturi.
if the idle stop screw is turned too much then the transition port is being uncovered. If every thing is correct with the engine you should not have to turn the stop screw more than 1 turn after it contacts the throttle lever.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Agreed on throttle blade needs to be centered on the air bleed slots