Desperate: Early sbc crank pulley

LAWRENCE Owen

Seaman
Attached photos show a 3-groove crank pulley from my 1977 5.7 sbc in my 222 AQUASPORT straight inboard. The pulley is cracked significantly around the outside v-groove that drives the water pump. The inside groove drives the alternator. Center groove is not used.

Opinions from some trusted marine parts suppliers say it is most likely from a late 60s-late 70s chevy C-10 truck or close to this. Pulley was on the original 300HP 5.7 engine and this pulley fits my replacement long block just fine.

Nobody can find one so far. The pulley can't be welded; metal too thin and rusty, and would be unbalanced if it were welded. Any insight or recommended solutions will be more than appreciated.

Larry

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
none of your photos attached

I have a bunch of my mid 80's small block parts on craigslist including the pulleys from my old motor. Im in Bradentucky, about 3.5 miles east of 75 on 64. If they work, your in business

LAWRENCE Owen

Seaman
Pulley photos from Larry

Oops, forgot to attach pulley photos. NOTE: pulley is 6.5" in dia. and 4" deep from crank balancer to outside of 3rd groove.
Thanks.

Attachments

• pulley - 6.png
    pulley - 6.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • pulley - 1.png
    pulley - 1.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • pulley - 3.png
    pulley - 3.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 0

LAWRENCE Owen

Seaman
Brandentucky!? I resent that. I grew up on the Manatee River starting in 1953! I'm now across the river at Terra Ceia Is. just north of Palgetto (fishing is excellent).

Photos were posted just minuted ago.
I'll be in touch, Scott. Thanks.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Go private!

And why would you post pics in a new thread? :doh:

Scott Danforth

Staff member
those look like longer than the standard crank pulleys

LAWRENCE Owen

Seaman
those look like longer than the standard crank pulleys

Yes, that's the issue. Pulley is 4" deep vs. most I found are 2" - 2 3/4". There's a longer protrusion going to the balancer mounting surface.

And GA_Boater, my mistake; I forgot to attach the photos on the original thread, and didn't see how to add the photos any another way. I'm learning.

kenny nunez

Captain
If those pulleys are made by GM then there is a part # stamped, hopefully they are not rusted to the point where they cannot be read.
If you get what you need have them powder coated before you install them.

Scott Danforth

Staff member

LAWRENCE Owen

Seaman
or go aftermarket https://www.amazon.com/Assault-Racing-Products-A9486POL-Crankshaft/dp/B00S75GGBC

LAWRENCE Owen post a pic of the whole accessory drive setup. you may be able to change the other pulleys.

2-groove pulleys are easy to find, the 3-groove pulley is proving to be a bear.

can you use a 2-groove, and if so, what is the length to the end of the second groove?

I'll go to the marina and take photos of the set up and provide measurements. Yes, a 2-groove pulley would work fine as long as I can get the 2 belts to line up. If the alternator belt lines up, perhaps I can modify the water pump position to accept the other (outside) groove, or visa versa. The middle groove in current 3-groove configuration doesn't drive anything, meaning there is about 1 1/2" or so space (the middle groove) between the inner and outer groove. I sure make this sound complicated.

LAWRENCE Owen

Seaman
I took the original pulley along with a new shorter aluminum 3-groove pulley I had gotten from Summit to Dean's Machine, a 60+ year-old machine shop in Bradenton. It was like going back in time; the soothing smell of old oil and a catacomb of metal attacking machines, lathes, welders and tanks of all sizes from various decades with well worn handles and parts ... and enough metal lying around to build a huge anything. Dean said, basically, no problem and knew exactly what I wanted. It will be perfectly balanced ... which was my concern. I'm lucky to have found his place and grateful that his business card reads, "Small jobs welcome."

Looks like I might get out in the water soon.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Bring it to modern metal finishing in Clearwater to get it anodized when you are done