Where to start rebuild on inboard shaft

Terestron

Cadet
Here is a picture of my inboard shaft. I pulled the engines and need to go through, and perhaps rebuild. What do I need to do? Where do I start?

I am sure the packing needs to be replaced. What about the plate bolted to the hull? It is a 1" dia shaft.

Should I be replacing the coupling since it is rusted, or should I just clean it? the set screws are rusted in. It has been sitting for 10 years.

Does an one know how to identify the make? model?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• photo320468.jpg
    photo320468.jpg
    794.3 KB · Views: 0

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Evaluate condition of transom.-----Evaluate condition of engines .----Rebuild engines if possible.-----Replace engines if not rebuildable.------Replace shafts / stuffing boxes as needed to match engines.----I would leave stuffing boxes / shafts as the last step to this project.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Even leaving them as a last step, I'd spray them down with a good penetrant. Let them soak whilst inspecting the rest of the rig.

Ned L

Commander
I was going to say it looks like a Chris Craft setup. I would replace the hose clamps and see how things go. Don’t fix what’s not broken.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Shaft likely needs to come out to replace cutlass bearing in the strut.----I think the poster has left the building ??