Wright Electric Motors Starter for Ski Supreme Commander 351

whbjr24

Recruit
Having a problem with the starter. It is a Wright Electric Motors starter. Problem, The starter spins but the bendix gear does not move out and engage the ring gear.

Problem started 4 weeks ago when the starter relay stuck closed causing the starter to continue to spin and the engine to run even when the ignition key was turned off and removed from the ignition switch. About 30 seconds after removing the key, starter and motor magically turned off. Replaced ignition switch and the starter relay as these are the only 2 components common to the starter and the motor. I then tried to restart the motor but the starter would spin but not engage the ring gear. Figured it burned out because of being run too long while the relay was stuck.

So I replaced starter with a new (refurbished) Wright Electric Motors starter. Boat ran great for 2 weeks of mostly constant start/stop for skiing and boating.

Boat sat a few days. I started it this morning. Motor fired right up but the starter engagement sounded strange/sluggish. The starter did shut off normally when ignition switch moved to the "run" position. Boat ran great. I parked at the dock and turned the engine off. All normal. One half hour later, I turned the ignition switch, starter spun but did not engage the bendix gear. Can't blame the relay or ignition switch for this one.

I did remove the starter and connect it to a battery on a bench. Starter spins but bendix gear does not move. I am able to move the gear manually so it's not frozen in the starter housing. (Problem with the solenoid coil that moves the bendix?)

I am at a loss as to what could account for this behavior, and, much more importantly, what the root cause of the problem is. Could it be simply a bad starter? (kinda doubt it but ...). I need to understand what the failure mechanism is that would allow the starter motor to turn but not throw the bendix out.

Thanks

One more thing. I have read in some posts about shimming a starter to move the bendix closer to or further away from the ring gear. On my engine there are two 9/16 bolts that bolt the starter to the engine. As far as I can see, there is no "adjustment" possible. The bolts go through holes in the front plate on the starter and into the bolt holes in the engine. Am I missing something? Hope not.

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,....... Don't know yer starter by manufacturer's name,.... Just to clarify yer info,.....

Is this a 351 Ford motor, 'n not a 351 boat model, Right,..??

Is the solenoid you replaced mounted on the starter, or a remote/ slave solenoid,..??

Is there a slave solenoid,..?? Most boats have one, due to voltage drop from the key switch,....

Does the starter mount directly to the motor's block, or to the flywheel housin',..??

I know Chevy starters sometimes need to be shimmed, if the bendix drive doesn't properly engage the ring gear, but it's fairly rare,.....

whbjr24

Recruit
Thanks for the response. Here are the answers to your questions. Btw, there have been a few very confusing updates but one thing at a time.
1) yes it is a Ford 351 marine inboard engine.
2) the relay/solenoid is mounted to a plate at the rear of the engine. A 2 ft 1 gauge cable connects relay/sol to the starter.
3) the ignition switch connects via a new boat grade heavy wire to the ign terminal on the starter relay/solenoid at the back of the engine
4) the starter mounts to the flywheel housing.

Now for the updates. Took both starters to the manufacturer (who no longer produces boat starters) but was intrigued and agreed to bench test. Both ran normally. Yup, I was there and witnessed it. He suggested another shop for refurbished. Went there. That guy was intrigued as well. Tested the starters and both failed to throw out the bendix. Yup incredible but true.

Apparently the starters are sensitive to voltage drop according to the second tech. So I replaced the the battery pos and neg cables in the boat with 1 gauge wire. Sanded the engine surface for good neg connection. Tried one of the starters, no joy. Spins but won’t engage.

Then i retested the battery at the battery posts ( not cable clamps). Battery starts at 12.6 v and drops to 11.5 when starter turning. Should it be that much drop? Thought a 1 y/o 1000 cca battery should be stiffer than that but don’t know. Thoughts?

Bondo

Staff member
Battery starts at 12.6 v and drops to 11.5 when starter turning. Should it be that much drop?

Ayuh,..... That don't sound right to me,.....

Test the battery with a Load Tester, is what I'd do next,....