Yamaha outdrive replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramble

Recruit
I have 2 Yamaha ME420STIs and am looking for a replacement outdrive. Does any know were I can find a complete drive unit (upper & lower units). I have found the part number for the lower unit, but cannot find the part number of the upper unit.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard.

you wont find much support in the US for Yamaha since they were sued for patent infringement.

your best bet for a replacement is to unbolt everything yamaha and bolt in either mercruiser or volvo-penta. or hope to find two drives that come from fresh water boats that were meticulously maintained and the hull was crushed by a tree and someone held onto the drives.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,...... Welcome Aboard,...... As Scott says, Yamaha's were only imported for 2 years, so there little to find,.....

If anybody knows where to find what ya need, try Capt. Ken at Nelson Marine in Florida,.....

Ramble

Recruit
Thank you guys. If anyone has the part number of the upper unit it would be very helpful. My parts catalogue is missing assembly part number.
Is a switch to a different make drive feasible or complex?

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... I guess it depends on just how Handy you are,.......

You remove Everything Yamaha, 'n replace it with Everything Merc or Volvo,.....

The most feasible way is to buy a rotten donor hull with the driveline you want, 'n swap Everything into yer hull,.....

The hole in the transom matches Mercs, 'n later model Volvos,.....

kpg7121

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thank you guys. If anyone has the part number of the upper unit it would be very helpful. My parts catalogue is missing assembly part number.

What good is the part # if what you need is nearly non existent?

Status
Not open for further replies.