84 twin 229 3.8L - DOG! cant see this thing ever planing out?? Underpowered?

CamaroMan

Petty Officer 1st Class
Finished an install of a starboard motor we rebuilt on a 1985 crusader .. it has 2 229ci 3.7L engines with quadrajets. Took it out today and the boat was a real dog. Admittedly we run a 21ft Searay with a single V8 and do perfectly fine.. First time on something like this - attached is a pic of the boat.. its a 29ft. Stbd motor according to manual has firing order of 1-2-3-4-5-6! Set it to 10 degrees btdc - the whole motor actually turns the other way than normal.. so its measured from the port /inside side of the motor

Underpowered?

Attachments

• photo308153.jpg
    photo308153.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 0

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
you sure its mercruiser and not a Buick motor? What mercruiser manual number are you referring to?
The firing order for the 3.8L VIN K and 3.8L VIN 1 engines is 1-6-5-4-3-2. Starting at the front of the engine, cylinders in the left bank are numbered 1,3,5 and cylinders in the right bank are numbered 2,4,6.
And you list it as a reverse rotation v6 motor????????????

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
To set the timing on a reverse rotation motor it would be 10 degrees PAST the marker pointer TO THE RIGHT
Where are you setting the timing in relation to the tab Looking at the front of the motor, to the left side of the arrow or the right side of the arrow?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
GMET80871.jpg

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Yes, quite seriously under-powered. Most boats that size are running twin 260-300hp engines (be that petrol or diesel), so yes, you're up against it.

Ok, those 229 (3.8L) engines are rated at 185hp each. Can't find anything on a counter rotate engine, but the firing order for a standard rotation is 1-6-5-4-3-2-1, and the timing is 8° BTDC, not 10.

I'm assuming these are inboards, not sterndrives, but I can't find any reference to any counter rotate engines. Do you have the serial number handy?

Chris.....

CamaroMan

Petty Officer 1st Class
hi - its a crusader.. i looked in the manual and the starboard motor shows firing order of 1-2-3-4-5-6 for RH engines (the starter rotates it opposite of a regular motor so timing is from the opposite side as regular.. its a GM imala motor 229 / 3.8L.. just really surprised at the lack of power. The rebuilt motor was putting out alot more water out the back.. since its io no option for trimming - just bow up / bow down on the side tabs..

Click image for larger version  Name:	crusader1.JPG Views:	1 Size:	107.1 KB ID:	10706166Click image for larger version  Name:	crusader229-specs-2.JPG Views:	1 Size:	109.6 KB ID:	10706167

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Yes, I know what a counter rotating engine is and how it works. But I can't find any reference in any of the manuals I have. What is that manual you have? Also, what is the engine serial number?

The other question is, are you getting 4200-4600rpm at full throttle? If not, and this would affect getting on the plane, you need to use a propeller with less pitch.. Are these engines pushing through stern drive legs, or gearboxes and shafts?

Chris......

harringtondav

Commander
For reference my pal has a '89 42' (40' + pulpit) Bluewater Coastal Cruiser w/twin 350 SBC Cruisers. 500 hp total. One engine hits 4200 rpm, the other 3900. He's never come up on a full plane. It takes a lot of power and fuel to get a heavy boat on top of the water. His big brass props are too pricey for experimentation. No one complains puttsing along at 1800-2200 rpm. Lots of room and relaxation.

CamaroMan

Petty Officer 1st Class
Chris - no insult to your knowledge, i was referring more to the post above. This is a crusader - 229 cid. its a dinky motor i think. Next time ill check the primaries are opening at WOT - just very different, cant believe 8ft can make such a difference.. wow - quite disappointing.. even comparing hp isnt the same as torque.. either way, and yes chris - shafts, no drives but they have velvet drive transmissions. unsure of ratios and pretty sure its all standard-

PS: I just saw theres a crusader sub section - apologies for posting in mercruiser

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Chris - no insult to your knowledge, i was referring more to the post above. This is a crusader - 229 cid. its a dinky motor i think. Next time ill check the primaries are opening at WOT - just very different, cant believe 8ft can make such a difference.. wow - quite disappointing.. even comparing hp isnt the same as torque.. either way, and yes chris - shafts, no drives but they have velvet drive transmissions. unsure of ratios and pretty sure its all standard-

PS: I just saw theres a crusader sub section - apologies for posting in mercruiser

Moved it in Other Brands of I/O and Inboards. I can't find a Crusader section.

Bondo

Staff member
This is a crusader - 229 cid. its a dinky motor i think. Next time ill check the primaries are opening at WOT - just very different, cant believe 8ft can make such a difference.. wow - quite disappointing.. even comparing hp isnt the same as torque.. either way, and yes chris - shafts, no drives but they have velvet drive transmissions. unsure of ratios and pretty sure its all standard-

Ayuh,..... It still comes down to Rpms, Trans ratio, 'n prop pitch,......

'n I'm with Chris,..... I doubt you'll be happy, without V8s in there,......