yamaha outdrive wont engage in water

debobf

Recruit
I have a ebbtide with a 3.0 and Yamaha outdrive
on the trailer it engages into both fwd and rev, but in the water she does not engage

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard

most likely your coupler has failed

do you smell burning rubber?

are there little balls of rubber dust coming out from the flywheel housing?

when was the last time you aligned the drive?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Howdy.

Another possibility is the rubber hub in the prop has spun. With a marker draw a line across the prop and hub, back the trailer in the water and try reverse and forward with just a high idle. Pull the trailer out and see if the line is still aligned. If it isn't the prop needs to be re-hubbed or replaced. Otherwise, follow Scott's advice about the coupler.

Bondo

Staff member
Yamaha outdrive
on the trailer it engages into both fwd and rev, but in the water she does not engage

Ayuh,...... Welcome Aboard,.... While I've never worked on a Yamaha outdrive,.....

A few things I've read that might be yer problem, or a part of yer problem are,.....
The cable can wear a groove in it's casing, causin' a shorter than normal throw,.....
Another thing I've read about is,.....
There's a shift fork that wears, or bends, causin' shifting problems,.....

Capt Ken

Commander
Well it’s not the coupler, when they strip out they won’t turn anything. Spun hub would still shift and move slowly but would slip when throttling up. Not enough information to take an intelligent guess. Can you hear the shift dog engage? Is the outdrive up or down in either test?
And yes I’m still alive, just getting old and tired trying to keep these things running. It’s a losing battle

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
I’m also thinking the prop hub is gone. No load on it out the water. Plenty in it.