2002 Marine power 4.3L

Blackblur

Cadet
Hey i have a 2002 north river trapper with a marine power 4.3 (carbbed) in it. I just finished doing head gaskets and checking heads etc. I noticed that it had no thermostat in it (do you guys recommend one? If so what temp I'm near Vancouver BC Canada) also I would like to check/set the timing and can't find anywhere the way to do so can someone post the url or ... for the procedure and any special tools (jumper .....) ?

thanks

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Yes, a thermostat is required to regulate water flow thru the block

timing procedure depends on the ignition system you have. most likely its either a delco voyager or a mallory

Blackblur

Cadet
Does this help to tell you what ignition it has

Attachments

• photo305015.jpg
    photo305015.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
Looks like a EST (delco)
Timing set at 10 BTDC at 650 RPM in base timing mode

47-5475.jpg

Thermostat should be 140 degrees but could also use a 160 if your in fresh water

Blackblur

Cadet
Is there a write up somewhere that does a step by step to get it to base timing mode and is there jumpers or anything I have to remove?

Blackblur

Cadet
Oh and yes I'm in fresh water only but mainly Fraser river if that makes a difference for therm. Temp range

alldodge

Staff member
For the EST it is timed as follows, and I don't know what drive you have
Your motor probably came with a 140 Stat

Click image for larger version  Name:	EST Timing.jpg Views:	2 Size:	47.7 KB ID:	10683821

alldodge

Staff member
It's a marine power jet drive

Know how it works but not sure if it uses a shift interrupter switch to shift or not. most likely no, but look for a wire going from the distributor (one with the wires that get connected together) to the shift plate. If the wire is not there then probably don't need to worry about bypassing a shift switch

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I used a 160 stat on my '88 4.3 even in salt water I did not have overheating problems as long as the rest of the cooling system was in good shape. OMC and Volvo to the best of my knowledge never offered 140 stats in these engines, see what is available for the stat housing your engine has....

Blackblur

Cadet
Locally I could find a 140 so I put in a 160 hope that works for us.

anyone know the total timing and rpm? I've seen several numbers but it's looking like 3000 rpm and 28 deg am I right?

alldodge

Staff member
I'm not finding much for Marine Power. It it was a Merc the timing would come on by 2500 rpm and advance would be 10 to 15 degrees for a TB5. I have been providing Merc stuff but Merc did not use the EST distributor with the TB5 ignition.

The standard Delco EST distributor which can be added to any GM block provides 22 total advance. Also for standard carb install it would be set at 8 BTDC instead of 10. The 10 was for TB5 module